Add bacon to anything and it will fly off the table. That’s what a caterer once told me and I believe it. Certainly applies here.
Whether you’re planning a cookout this weekend or cooking indoors, grill up a few of these sizzling treats for a quick appetizer or serve as an entree. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the Fourth of July than with a big plate of these spicy and cheesy, smoky and crispy chicken nuggets.
If you don’t like spicy, leave out the jalapeños or skimp a bit. I definitely prefer fresh jalapeños over the canned or pickled ones traditionally used with nachos. They are milder and prettier too.
How To Assemble Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Chicken Bites
Pound chicken breast tenders.
Seed and chop fresh jalapeño peppers.
Smear cream cheese on top of each tender and sprinkle with peppers.
Roll bacon around folded chicken tender and secure with toothpick.
- 8 chicken tenders, flattened and cut in two
- 3-ounce package softened cream cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half
- Dab 1/2 teaspoon (more or less) of cream cheese on top of each chicken tender. Sprinkle a scant 1/4 teaspoon of peppers over cream cheese. Fold or roll chicken to enclose cream cheese mixture. Wrap each roll with one piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill until bacon is brown and crispy on both sides.
Be sure to wear plastic gloves when handling fresh jalapeños. The oil will attach itself to your hands and is not easily washed away. An inadvertent swipe of the hand close to your eyes could be an unforgettable experience.
For reference, if you are substituting for the chicken tenders (i.e. dark meat, large pieces of chicken breast, game meat), the size of the tenders I used were 5-6 inches long and 2-3 inches wide before flattening and cutting in half.
Try flattening meat inside a zip-lock bag as pictured above. No flying pieces, no contamination on your cutting board from the chicken, and cleanup is super easy.
- The Safety Zone GNEP-SM-1P Nitrile Exam Gloves - Medical Grade, Powder Free, Latex Rubber Free, Disposable, Non Sterile, Food Safe, Textured, Indigo Color, Convenient Dispenser Pack of 100, Size Small
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Yield:16 bite size servings
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 102 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 262mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 6g
Posts related to Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Chicken Bites
- Four-Layer Meat and Potatoes in a Skillet
- Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf
- Beefy Bean and Frito Burgers
- Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce