Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Chicken Bites are flattened chicken tenders stuffed with cream cheese laced with chopped jalapeño pieces, then wrapped with bacon. They will make the men in your life go crazy. I promise.
Add bacon to anything, and it will fly off the table.
That’s what a caterer once told me. I believe it. Certainly applies here.
Whether you’re planning a cookout this weekend or cooking indoors, grill up a few of these sizzling treats for a quick appetizer or serve as an entree. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the Fourth of July than with a big plate of these spicy, cheesy, smoky, and crispy chicken nuggets.
Is there a substitute for the jalapeños?
If you don’t like spicy, leave out the jalapeños or skimp a bit. I prefer fresh jalapeños over the canned or pickled ones traditionally used with nachos. They are milder and prettier, too.
Can I cook these in an air-fryer?
Yes. I’ve only experimented with the new air-fryer attachment sold for the Instant Pot. Preheat to 400˚ F. That’s important. Then cook one layer for 12 minutes, turning half-way through.
I like to line the original stainless steel pot insert that comes with the Instant Pot with aluminum foil. This facilitates cleanup and keeps any drippings from burning.
How to assemble Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Chicken Bites
RELATED POST: Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Recipe slightly adapted from “Warren’s Chicken Bites” published in Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 8 chicken tenders, flattened and cut in two
- 3-ounce package softened cream cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half
- Dab 1/2 teaspoon (more or less) of cream cheese on top of each chicken tender. Sprinkle a scant 1/4 teaspoon of peppers over cream cheese. Fold or roll chicken to enclose cream cheese mixture. Wrap each roll with one piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill until bacon is brown and crispy on both sides.
Be sure to wear plastic gloves when handling fresh jalapeños. The oil will attach itself to your hands and is not easily washed away. An inadvertent swipe of the hand close to your eyes could be an unforgettable experience.
For reference, if you are substituting for the chicken tenders (i.e. dark meat, large pieces of chicken breast, game meat), the size of the tenders I used were 5-6 inches long and 2-3 inches wide before flattening and cutting in half.
Try flattening meat inside a zip-lock bag as pictured above. No flying pieces, no contamination on your cutting board from the chicken, and cleanup is super easy.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
- Ziploc Storage Bags, Gallon, Mega Pack, 150 ct (2 Pack, 75 ct)
- Instant Pot Lid with Roast Bake, Broil, Reheat & Dehydrate Air Fryer
- The Safety Zone GNEP-SM-1P Nitrile Exam Gloves - Medical Grade, Powder Free, Latex Rubber Free, Disposable, Non Sterile, Food Safe, Textured, Indigo Color, Convenient Dispenser Pack of 100, Size Small
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 bite size servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 262mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g