Cilantro and Hominy Rice is a comforting side dish of jasmine or basmati rice, cooked in chicken broth with hominy, cilantro, and butter added at the end.
You will find this recipe behind the comfort food tab in my personal cookbook. It’s right up there with Rotisserie Chicken and Mushroom Chowder for a not-so-good kind of day. If you have been sick, this simple dish seems to have restorative and magical powers.
Actually, now that I think about it, rice is part of the BRAT diet (R stands for rice) recommended for treating people with an upset stomach, especially children. So you can see, I’m not just making this up.
A Note about Cilantro and Hominy Rice in regards to Cilantro-Haters:
Cilantro is polarizing. Have you noticed? Seems like people love it or hate it. I suppose you could substitute other herbs for the cilantro, but then you must call it something else. After all, cilantro is the main flavor in this mild rice dish.
Thanks to my brother-in-law, Tom, for the recipe. I think of him every time I make it. Along with my sister-in-law, they have put out many delicious spreads for our family celebrations, often including this rice along with their fabulous grilled pork tenderloin.
- 2 cups Jasmine, Basmati, or long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can golden hominy, drained
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare rice according to package using chicken broth (the richer the better) instead of plain water. Amount depends on how many servings are desired but start with at least 2 cups uncooked rice. Or use a rice cooker--my preference.
- When rice is cooked and tender, add hominy, butter, salt and pepper. Add cilantro just before serving.
- Season to your own tastes. Freezes amazingly well.
If you have any trouble cooking rice to your satisfaction, you need a rice cooker. It is fool-proof, cooks on a timer and clean-up is easy. What else could you ask for? Oh wait. I just thought of something else. You could ask for a warming cycle to keep it warm for hours, if necessary. No problem with a rice cooker.
- Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White, 1.0-Liter
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 200 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 949mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 4g