Sausage Stuffed Eight Ball Squash is an unusual looking squash with a taste similar to zucchini. Think you’ll like this easy, colorful, and delicious dinner recipe.
Have you ever seen eight ball squash?
Eight-ball squash are almost perfectly round balls. However, the color can vary. I’ve only seen the yellow/green color shown but they also come in a solid green more like a zucchini.
The taste is similar to zucchini squash. When I saw these at the produce stand, I knew I had to try them.
Ok, I found them. Now what?
First, slice off the stem end. You will want to cook the squash partially before you clean out the innards. Allow about 10 minutes with an inch of water in the pan unless the squash are extremely large.
Prepare the filling while the squash cook.
Cleaning out Eight Ball Squash:
- 4 8-ball squash
- 1/2 pound hot sausage
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup bell peppers, chopped or 1 teaspoon jalapeno, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 ounces Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice off stem end of each squash. Place upside down in pan with one inch water and boil for 10 minutes.
- After squash cools a bit, carve the flesh out of the inside and set aside in a colander to drain. A grapefruit spoon or melon baller works really well for this job.
- Brown sausage in a medium skillet. Add onions, bell peppers or jalapeño, and garlic. Stir frequently and fry until vegetables as soft.
- Add tomato and well-drained, chopped squash from inside the balls to meat mixture. Add half of cheese. Fill squash shells. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place into 350 degree preheated oven until cheese melts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 379 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 640mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 12g Protein: 20g
Southwestern Stuffed Peppers Without Rice
Bell peppers of many colors are filled with a Southwestern-style filling. Works great to make ahead and freeze.Get the Recipe
Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
Pork tenderloin gets stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped with bacon and bathed in Raspberry-Chipotle Sauce then baked in the oven.Get the Recipe
Southwestern Chicken-Stuffed SpudsContinue Reading
Southwestern Roasted Stuffed Peppers
Red bell peppers stuffed with sausage, zucchini, corn, tomatoes and rice--topped with cheeseGet the Recipe