Sausage-Stuffed Eight Ball Squash is an unusual looking squash with a taste similar to zucchini. I think you’ll like this easy, colorful, and delicious dinner entree recipe.
What is Eight Ball Squash?
Eight-ball squash are almost perfectly round balls. However, the color can vary. I’ve only seen the yellow/green color shown but they also come in a solid green more like a zucchini.
Related Post: How to Make Southwestern Stuffed Peppers Without Rice
The taste is similar to zucchini squash. When I saw these at the produce stand, I knew I had to try them.
How to prepare Eight Ball Squash:
First, slice off the stem end. You will want to cook the squash partially before you clean out the innards. Allow about 10 minutes with an inch of water in the pan unless the squash is extremely large.
Prepare the filling while the squash cook.
How to clean out Eight Ball Squash:
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 4 8-ball squash
- 1/2 pound hot sausage
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup bell peppers, chopped or 1 teaspoon jalapeno, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 ounces Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice off stem end of each squash. Place upside down in pan with one inch water and boil for 10 minutes.
- After squash cools a bit, carve the flesh out of the inside and set aside in a colander to drain. A grapefruit spoon or melon baller works really well for this job.
- Brown sausage in a medium skillet. Add onions, bell peppers or jalapeño, and garlic. Stir frequently and fry until vegetables as soft.
- Add tomato and well-drained, chopped squash from inside the balls to meat mixture. Add half of cheese. Fill squash shells. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place into 350 degree preheated oven until cheese melts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 640mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 20g