Never-Fail Chicken and Dumplings will show you how to prepare the perfect chicken and broth for homemade dumplings as well as the dumplings themselves.
As we anticipate record breaking cold temperatures here in Texas, I’m hallucinating about Never-Fail Chicken and Dumplings. I can think of no better way to chase away goosebumps.
Now don’t be thinking this recipe is just too much trouble. For one thing, the noodles don’t have to be perfect. Not only can the broth easy, but it can be prepared ahead of time. In fact, it’s better that way so you can easily remove the fat layer from the chilled stock.
Even if you prefer fluffy biscuit type dumplings or the ease of flour tortillas cut into squares, you must try the “Cooked Down” Chicken. Generally speaking, it’s perfect for any kind of soup or stew requiring chicken stock and cooked chicken.
How to Mix and Cut the Dumplings:
- 4 cups water
- 1 4-5 pound chicken
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons water
Cooked Down Chicken
- Clean chicken inside and out thoroughly.
- Combine all ingredients with chicken and simmer on the stove in a covered Dutch oven for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (Long cooking time important for tender cooking.)
- Allow to cool, Remove chicken from bones. If you have time, Chill and remove excess fat.
- Add all ingredients to food processor (my preference) or use electric mixer. Mixure may look like coarse cornmeal or could be soft dough depending on weather conditions, humidity, size of egg you used, etc. If dough does not stick together, press it together into a ball. If it still will not stick together add water a few drops at a time. Once you can press it into a ball, you're good.
- Roll out dough very thin and let sheets of dough dry for about 20 minutes. I use a pastry cloth or tea towel covered generously with flour.
- Cut into small strips and drop in boiling, rich broth of chicken. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Add chicken.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 590 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 233mg Sodium: 813mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Protein: 57g