Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls are light and airy rolls with a touch of sweetness that you can mix up with a bread machine. Try them as slider buns with ham and swiss cheese or some cherry jelly. When I have these around, I don’t need any dinner.
Directions for using a bread machine to mix and knead the dough are included. No bread machine? See recipe notes for alternative directions.
WARNING: Do not eat these the day before taking a drug test. It’s true. Eating poppy seeds can result in a positive reading. Check it out on Snopes.com.
But if you aren’t applying for a new job or on furlough from federal prison, I heartily encourage you to introduce yourself to these wonderful little yeast rolls.
Add these Poppy Seed Yeast Rolls to your repertoire if you like poppy seed cake, muffins, or bagels. Try them spread with lemon curd or preserves.
Take the savory route and make hot ham and cheese sliders. Perfect for a party. Whip up these rolls for Easter dinner, and then later, make sandwiches using leftover Easter ham and some honey or Dijon mustard.
You don’t have to have a bread machine to make these but it’s easier if you do. Dump all ingredients in the bread-machine pan and set on the DOUGH cycle. Wait until the dough has risen to double before removing the dough. This is the way I execute all of my bread machine recipes.
Next, remove the dough from the pan, form into rolls and let rise again until double. Bake in a conventional oven. Voila! You have just made yeast rolls you’ll have to tie down to keep from floating off like a cloud.
And one more thing: Unlike most homemade bread, these rolls will stay fresh and delicious for 3-4 days. This is important. I don’t feel quite as compelled to eat all the rolls the day I make them.
More posts about bread machines and good recipes for them:
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vanilla nut butter extract or butter extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine or instant yeast
- Place ingredients in order listed into bread machine. Set for dough cycle. After machine has run about 7 minutes, open the lid and check the dough. If too dry, add water 1 tablespoon at a time. If too wet, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time. When cycle is finished remove from pan to floured board. (If you are a novice bread machine user, check out the mini-tutorial on this post)
- Divide dough in half. Cut each half into 8 pieces or 16 according to your preference. Form into balls. See video for an explanation how to form dough into balls. Place in 2 8-inch round or square pans sprayed with vegetable oil.
- Cover pans and allow to rise until double in a warm place. May take from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 11-14 minutes until brown.
- Let rolls sit on counter for about 5 minutes. Then turn out onto a towel or plate. Flip upright onto serving plate or tear apart and pile into serving basket.
Alternate Mixing Instructions:
Directions for making bread with a stand mixer or by hand:
- To make this recipe in a heavy-duty stand mixer, add ingredients to the bowl in the same order. Turn on low to mix until all ingredients are moistened. Using a dough hook, turn speed to 2 or 3 and continue beating/kneading until dough becomes smooth and elastic (about 5-10 minutes). Cover and allow to rise in a warm place. Deflate dough gently and shape as indicated in the recipe.
- If making by hand, combine all ingredients into a shaggy ball in a large bowl. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead with your hands until dough becomes smooth and elastic, a process that will likely take 10-20 minutes depending on your experience. Place the dough ball into a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until double. Deflate dough gently and shape as indicated in the recipe.
How to substitute active dry yeast for bread-machine yeast or instant yeast:
If you substitute regular yeast for instant or bread-machine yeast, you must dissolve it first before adding to the dry ingredients. Stir it into about 1/4 cup of the lukewarm liquid called for in the recipe. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Add to other wet ingredients and then add dry ingredients. Proceed as directed to knead and shape the dough.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g