Simple chicken fillets become Crispy Almond Chicken Tenders when breaded with sliced almonds and bread crumbs. A quick trip through the oven adds crispiness and color.
Updated March 2020.
Do you occasionally crave fried chicken as I do?
Typically, the crunch of the lightly-fried almonds and bread crumbs combined with tender bites of chicken usually satisfies my naughty yearnings.
These oven-baked chicken tenders are fancy enough for company. On the other hand, if you don’t count the salt and pepper, there are only five ingredients making this recipe uncomplicated and easy.
The directions for this chicken come from my friend Scooter of Scooter’s Spaghetti fame (the third most popular post on this blog). Years ago, she showed up at my house with this special treat after I had been in the hospital for a few days.
I’ve never forgotten her visit. That memory only reinforces my theory that sharing recipes can be an enduring gift.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- CHICKEN: Skinless and boneless chicken tenders are best for this recipe. They are easier to handle than a full tenderloin. Be careful not to overcook them.
- FLOUR: Substitute whole wheat or bleached all-purpose flour for unbleached flour. If you want to go low- carb (often for me), you can leave out this first step in the breading process, but the bread crumbs will not adhere to the chicken tenders quite as well.
- ALMONDS: Use blanched and slivered almonds or sliced almonds (with the brown skin barely visible on the edges. Leave them out for people who have allergies or don’t like almonds.
- BREADCRUMBS: My first choice would be soft bread crumbs you make yourself with a loaf of bread (in a food processor or blender). You can also use Panko crumbs.
Substitute almond meal for the breadcrumbs if you are feeding a low-carb or Keto eater.
How to make the coating stick to the chicken
- Dredge with seasoned flour
- Dip in eggs
- Coat each side of the tenders with the crumb and almond mixture.
- Handle the tenders with care to avoid knocking off the almonds.
How can I tell when these tenders are done and ready to eat?
The internal temperature should reach 165˚F. Check with a quick-read thermometer if you’re not sure. Remember that the temperature will continue to rise for a few minutes after you remove them from the oven.
How to make Almond-Crusted Chicken Tenders
More Chicken Recipes
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breast tenderloins
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- salt (1/2 teaspoon) and ground pepper
- With a mallet, pound chicken between plastic wrap or wax paper to make uniformly thin. I like to use a zippered gallon-size plastic bag to avoid any projectile pieces of chicken.
- Set up a dipping operation. Start by putting the flour, salt, and pepper into a shallow container.
- Mix eggs well with a fork and put them into another shallow container. Combine breadcrumbs and almonds in a third shallow container.
- Dredge each chicken tender in the flour mixture first, then the eggs. Finally, roll in the bread crumb/almond mixture.
- Sauté in a frying pan with 1-2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil. Brown briefly for about 2-3 minutes per side. Do not crowd the pan for the best results. Better to do two batches, using remaining oil for the second batch.
- Place browned tenders into a greased baking dish large enough for all fillets to fit in one layer.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes until baked through. (165˚ internal temperature).
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 22.5gSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 16.4gFiber: 2.7gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 33g