Try this recipe for Quick Fish Fillets with Pizza Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese if you want your family to eat more fish. It’s lightly breaded, sautéed, smeared with a little pizza sauce, and topped with cheese. Fresh basil adds sophistication for participating adults.
Updated November 2018.
Years ago I worked as a grocery store demonstrator for a fish distribution company. It wasn’t the most glamorous gig of my varied career, but it allowed me to control my own schedule when the boys were young.
It’s where I learned about what I affectionately call “Pizza Fish.” It’s not pizza with fish on it. Rather, it is fish with pizza toppings on it. Customers were crazy
If your family’s only exposure to fish is the high-calorie fried fish sandwich at fast food joints, you’ve got your work cut out for you. Nonetheless, this simple fish recipe is a great place to start. It’s easily customizable and the pizza flavors are familiar.
Any tips for getting kids to eat fish?
Need more tips in this area? Check out the strategies outlined in this article about getting kids to eat fish by Bon Appétit. Serving breaded fish like this recipe is just one idea.
How to cook Pizza Fish in a hurry:
Pizza Fish takes less than 15 minutes to make. Using frozen fish makes it even more convenient from a shopping standpoint.
Frozen tilapia and orange roughy will defrost in the time it takes to walk in the door from work, change clothes, and heat up the skillet. Typically, it takes less than 20 minutes to defrost the average fillet when placed in a bowl of water.
Another way to cut corners with this recipe is to first brown the fish, cover with pizza sauce and cheese, then put a lid on the pan and let the residual heat melt the cheese. This cuts out the broiler step although your cheese won’t get brown.
How to assemble this recipe:
Looking for more fish recipes?
Did you enjoy this recipe? You can help others (and me) by leaving a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. No comment required. Thank you.
Hope to see you again soon!
p.s. Questions? Email me: paula at saladinajar.com.
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 6 (4 oz) .pieces tilapia, orange roughy or other thin, mildly flavored fish fillets (if frozen, allow to thaw)
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs, dried
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly dry fish with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour crumbs onto plate or wax paper and coat fish on both sides. Use your hands to pat crumbs to get them to stick to surface of fish.
- Sauté fish until brown (2-3 minutes) and flip to brown other side. (You could stop here and serve the fish with no sauce. It's delicious!)
- Spoon light coating of pizza sauce over fish. Then sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of cheese over sauce. Place under broiler for a minute or two to brown cheese.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh basil on top of fish and serve immediately. Really good served as a fish sandwich with your favorite buns.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g