Sneak Preview: Tilapia with Pizza Sauce and Mozzarella is a quick recipe that calls for topping breaded fish filets with pizza sauce and Mozzarella cheese. Kids love it.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pizza fish is not pizza with fish on it. Instead, it’s Breaded Tilapia with Pizza Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese with some fresh basil if you have it. I learned about this recipe when working for a large fish company and giving out samples. Customers were crazy
If your family’s only exposure to fish is the high-calorie fried fish sandwich at fast food joints, you’ve got your work cut out for you. Nonetheless, this simple fish recipe is a great place to start.
Three Reasons Why You’ll Want To Try This Recipe
- It’s easily customizable. Use your favorite white fish and your favorite Italian cheese.
- The pizza flavors are familiar to most picky eaters.
- Fresh basil adds sophistication for the adults at your table.
Happy Cooks Speak Up
“I made this on Saturday. We ALL loved it!!! Mike told me to add it to our list of “regular” meals.” 😉 STACI
Do You Have Any Tips for Getting Kids To Eat Fish?
How To Cook Breaded Tilapia in a Hurry
This fish recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make. Using frozen fish makes it even more convenient.
- Frozen tilapia and orange roughy will defrost in the time it takes to walk in the door from work, change clothes, and heat the skillet. Typically, it takes less than 20 minutes to defrost the average fillet when placed in a bowl of water.
- Another way to cut corners with this recipe is to brown the fish first, then cover it with pizza sauce and cheese. Cover the pan and let the residual heat melt the cheese. Using a lid cuts out the broiler step, although your cheese won’t get brown.
How To Assemble This Recipe
Help at Your Fingertips: For questions or suggestions, email Paula at saladinajar.com. If you need help, I’m happy to troubleshoot via email (faster than leaving a comment). Attach pictures and as many details as possible for the best advice.
Breaded Tilapia with Pizza Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese
Rate this recipe
(5 stars if you loved it)
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 6 4-oz pieces (680 g) tilapia, orange roughy or other thin, mildly flavored fish fillets (if frozen, allow to thaw)
- ½ teaspoon table of sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup (72 g) bread crumbs, dried
- ½ cup (122 g) pizza sauce
- 2 oz. (56 g) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil
- Preheat 1-2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly dry 6 4-oz pieces (680 g) tilapia, orange roughy or other thin, mildly flavored fish fillets (if frozen, allow to thaw) with paper towels. Season with ½ teaspoon table of sea salt and ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour 2/3 cup (72 g) bread crumbs, dried onto a plate or wax paper and coat the fish on both sides. Use your hands to pat crumbs onto the surface of the fish.
- Sauté fish until brown (2-3 minutes) and flip to brown the other side. (You could stop here and serve the fish with no sauce. It’s delicious!)
- Spoon a light coating of 1/2 cup (122 g) pizza sauce over the fish. Then sprinkle about 2 oz. (56 g) shredded Mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Place under a broiler for a minute or two to brown the cheese.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh basil on top of the cooked fish as a garnich and serve immediately. Good served as a fish sandwich with your favorite buns.
All images and text ©️ Paula Rhodes for Salad in a Jar.com