Preview: Mild Chicken Curry is a simple weeknight dinner of mildly spiced tomato-y chicken curry. It will remind you of Chicken Masala but it is much easier.
My husband harbored a negative attitude toward Indian food for most of our married life. He based his distaste on a negative experience in college with some highly-spiced curry.
Two or three years ago we ventured into an Indian restaurant on a whim and became hooked on the Tomato-Coconut Soup. I decided to exploit the positive experience.
One of my co-workers with Indian connections marked a restaurant menu highlighting all the dishes she thought we would like.
We tried several of them. My plan worked!
My husband is now a fan. Nevertheless, I almost lost him after he popped a handful of fennel seed into his mouth as we were leaving our favorite Indian hang out one night. The seeds are traditionally chewed after a meal as a breath freshener and stomach soother, but it wasn’t the minty flavor he was expecting. The coughing and spitting that ensued were most undignified.
Now that we’re over the curry hump, this is my favorite Indian-like food to prepare at home.
I adapted this recipe from Cotton Country, a Jr. League cookbook from Decatur, Alabama. I know. An unlikely place to pick up a curry recipe.
It reminds me of an easy Chicken Masala.
What is Garam Masala?
The only ingredient you might not have in your kitchen already is the Garam Masala. It’s a wonderful Indian spice mixture good for many things At our house, we especially like Garam Masala spice in rice. It’s readily available in most supermarkets, but you can also mix some up for yourself if you like.
Does Mild Chicken Curry freeze well?
I keep this mildly spicy and saucy chicken in my freezer at all times. It has become one of my favorite comfort foods on a cold winter night after a long day at work or when I would rather watch Downton Abbey than cook.
More chicken recipes:
Did you enjoy this recipe? If so, you can help others and me by leaving a 5-star 🤩 rating in the comment section below. No comment is required.
p.s. If you have any questions or suggestions, you can email me privately: Paula at saladinajar.com.
Hope to see you again soon!
Mild Chicken Curry
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil - or vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice or V-8
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Couple shakes of Sriracha sauce - Leave this out if you don’t like spicy.
- 4 cups cooked chicken - diced (I use rotisserie chicken)
- Melt oil in a large skillet or shallow saucepan. Add onion and celery to the pan and saute vegetables until soft but not brown.
- Add garlic, curry powder, and Garam Masala and saute one more minute.
- Sprinkle flour over softened vegetables and distribute evenly.
- Whisk broth and tomato juice or V-8 into veggies and simmer until thickened. Season with Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha sauce. Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Add chicken and heat until warm throughout.
- Serve immediately over cooked rice (Jasmine would be my choice) or chill for dinner later in the day.