This recipe for Cheese-Crusted Creamed Chicken and Chips is a kid-friendly entree full of (rotisserie) chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chips, and cheese.
Do you ever wonder what little kids are thinking when your only clue is their expression?
I can’t quit looking at the picture below and speculating about the opinions of each child regarding this photographic experience. I’m thinking about being a psychologist in my next career.
I admit to feeling a kindred spirit with the little guy wearing a navy shirt and beige pants when it comes to cooking after a long day at work.
Enter this simple chicken casserole from my sister’s recipe box. Did I just say casserole? I hesitate because that word sounds so June Cleaver-ish. But for this Texas city girl with roots in Indiana farm country, casseroles equal comfort food.
I thought about outlawing this recipe in my house because of the chips and cheese. But we all like it, including the kids, so I’m not ready to banish it entirely from my repertoire.
Sometimes I reduce the damage by substituting plain nonfat Greek yogurt for the sour cream. Try using baked chips instead of the usual fried, and making homemade condensed cream of chicken soup instead of buying the stuff in a red can. (Don’t be rolling your eyes about the soup. It only takes about 5 minutes in the microwave.)
Kitchen Secrets for this recipe:
- Try making a half-recipe if you are only feeding 2-3 people. You may still have leftovers.
- In a hurry? Microwave the chicken mixture described in step one until it begins to bubble. Then assemble casserole starting with step two. Pop into a preheated oven. Dinner is ready as soon as the chips brown a touch and the cheese melts. While it’s baking, you have just enough time to prepare a healthy veggie to serve alongside. After all, your plate will need some color. 🙂
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 2 cans 10-3/4 oz. condensed cream of chicken soup or 2 recipes of my homemade condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 cups chopped, cooked, chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces (give or take) potato chips (I like plain Pringles-- not quite 2 cans)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Whisk together soup, sour cream, and milk until smooth. Stir in chicken and season with pepper.
- Crush chips and layer half of them on the bottom of a 9 x 11-inch (or similar size) casserole dish. Distribute creamed chicken on top of chip layer, then cover chicken with remaining chips. Sprinkle cheese over top chip layer.
- Bake at 350 30-40 minutes until bubbly. If chips start to brown too much, lay a piece of foil over the top but don't seal. You want the chips to be crispy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 483 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 93mg Sodium: 714mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 25g