If you need a holiday-worthy entree, look no further. Round Steak and Sausage Pinwheels are stuffed with sausage and vegetables, then rolled up and cooked in a slow cooker.
You will be put to a fair amount of trouble to assemble this recipe although less so the more often you make them. But once you put the Steak and Sausage Pinwheels into your slow cooker or oven, you are free to carry on with your life for a while.
About 15 minutes before dinnertime, remove the toothpicks, slice the steak rolls, and stir together some gravy. Bring on the mashed potatoes for an unforgettable feast.
How To Assemble Round Steak and Sausage Pinwheels:
Don’t miss the video if you want to watch how this dish comes together.
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 2 1/2 lbs. tenderized round steak, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound hot or mild ground sausage (I use breakfast sausage)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, soft or dried, seasoned or plain
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped onions (I like frozen)
- 1 chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons bouillon concentrate
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet or Dale's Steak Sauce
- bay leaf (optional)
- 1 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Meat juices left over from cooking meat
- Lay steak out on the counter. Cut into pieces about 4-5 inches wide and 7-10 inches long. This is very approximate.
- Layer sausage on top of steak using your hands to spread evenly to the edges.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs, then onions, peppers, and parsley. End with a light shower of salt and pepper.
- Starting from narrow end, roll up steak and secure with toothpicks. (Count the toothpicks so you will know how many you need to pull out after steak is cooked.)
- Brown rolls in a large skillet, if desired, but this step is not absolutely necessary. Place in a crockpot (I always use a crock pot liner) or a large dutch oven or covered skillet.
- Combine water, bouillon, and Kitchen Bouquet. Pour over meat.
- Cover and place in oven at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or cook in a crockpot for 7-8 hours. When tender, remove meat from oven or crockpot and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and slice. Set aside while you make gravy.
- Whisk water and cornstarch together. Add to juice from pot the meat was cooked in. Whisk well and cook until thickened. If there is not enough meat juice and gravy is too thick, you may have to add more water or beef broth to get a gravy-like consistency.
- Serve over steak rolls.
1. Alternate method for the gravy: Use a brown gravy mix from the store if you are not confident about your gravy-making skills. Use the juice from the cooked meat instead of water as called for on the package.
2. If the round steak has not been tenderized or is slightly thicker than a half inch, pound it with a meat tenderizer mallet.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 696mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 19g
Posts Related to Round Steak and Sausage Pinwheels