Never-Fail Chicken and Dumplings will show you how to prepare the perfect chicken and broth for homemade dumplings in an Instant Pot. Directions for mixing the dumplings in a food processor and rolling them out are also included.
Is it cold where you are?
If so, you must give these easy Never-Fail Chicken and Dumplings a try. I can think of no better way to chase away goosebumps.
Now don’t be thinking this recipe is just too much trouble. For one thing, the noodles don’t have to be perfect. Handmade equals character!
Not only is the broth easy with an Instant Pot, but it can be prepared ahead of time. In fact, it’s better that way so you can easily remove the fat layer from the chilled stock if desired.
Not into making your own dumplings?
Even if you prefer fluffy biscuit type dumplings or the ease of cut-up flour tortillas, you must try this method for cooking a whole chicken. The seasoning is simple but divine.
This recipe will work for any recipe calling for cooked chicken such as this Rotisserie Chicken and Mushroom Chowder or casseroles such as Cheese-Crusted Creamed Chicken and Chips. The broth is perfect for egg noodles.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot:
Place a rack with handles inside your Instant Pot, then whole 4-5 lb. chicken. Pour 4 cups chicken broth over chicken.
Squeeze a lemon over the chicken.
Season chicken with lemon pepper and salt.
Set Instant Pot to 35 minutes (40 minutes if chicken weighs more than 4.5 pounds). When finished, allow for natural release of pressure for at least 15 minutes.
Remove chicken from Instant Pot and pick the chicken off the bones. Using exam gloves will allow you to do this without letting the chicken cool first. Good if you are in a hurry. (Who isn’t?)
If you have kitchen shears, use them to cut up the chicken in smaller pieces. It’s quicker than getting out your chopping board or shredding by hand.
How to Mix Up Dumplings in a Food Processor:
Measure dry ingredients into your food processor bowl.
Add eggs and butter to dry ingredients. Pulse 4-5 times to cut in butter.
Pour water into the processor bowl.
Process until you can mash dough with your fingers and it sticks together. It should not be sticky. If sticky, add another tablespoon of flour and pulse several times. Check consistency.
Gather dough into a small disk shape and flatten. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to relax for 10 minutes (longer is OK).
How to Cut Dumplings:
Set Instant Pot on the Sauté setting until broth comes to a rolling boil. Drop dumplings into
Add chicken and continue to cook until heated through. Serve hot. Garnish with chopped parsley for a fresh taste and visual appeal.
Instant Pot Refried Beans in 90 Minutes
Simple refried beans are cooked in the Instant Pot with no pre-soaking required.
Pork and Hominy Stew--An Instant Pot Recipe
Texas Black-Eyed Pea Soup-An Instant Pot Recipe
Pork and Hominy Stew
A delicious way to use leftover roast pork with directions for making in an electric pressure cooker.
Bonnie's Carrot Casserole
Puréed carrots get a company-best treatment with a little butter, sugar and maple flavoring. You'll love the soufflé-like texture. An Instant Pot and food processor make assembly quick and easy but neither are essential.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
Chicken and Broth
- 1 4-5 pound chicken
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Cooking a Whole Chicken and the Broth
- Clean chicken inside and out thoroughly.
- Place rack with handles into the bottom of Instant Pot. Then place chicken onto rack.
- Stir warm water and bouillon together. Pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle remaining ingredients over the chicken and set to cook on HIGH pressure for 35-40 minutes. (Use 40 minutes if chicken is 5 pounds.)
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes.
- Open pot and remove chicken to cool. As soon as you can handle chicken, take the meat off the bones and tear in bite-size pieces. (Optional: If you have time, chill the chicken broth and remove excess fat.)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor (my preference) or use an electric mixer. Mixture may look like coarse cornmeal or could be soft dough depending on weather conditions, humidity, size of egg you used, etc. If dough does not come together, press it into a ball with your hands. If it still will not stick together add water a few drops at a time. Once you can press it into a ball, you're good.
- Form ball of dough into a flat disc, cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough very thin (12 x 14" rectangle or larger) on a floured surface and let the dough dry for about 20 minutes. (Hint: I use a pastry cloth or tea towel covered generously with flour instead of the counter to roll out my noodles. Clean-up is easier when you can throw the pastry cloth in the washer and the dough doesn't stick as easily.)
- Turn on the Sauté function on the Instant Pot and bring broth to a rolling boil.
- Cut dough into small strips and drop in boiling, rich chicken broth. Cover pot and simmer about 10 minutes. Add chicken and continue cooking until hot.
If you are not planning to eat your chicken and dumplings immediately, you will need to add water to make a soupy consistency. Just like any pasta dish, the pasta absorbs the liquid as sits in the broth.
- Cuisinart DLC-10SY Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor, White
- Regency Wraps RW1050 Regency Pastry Cloth and Rolling Pin Cover Set
- French Wooden Rolling Pin 18" x 1.55" for Baking Pizza Pastry Dough, Pie Crust & Cookie - Kitchen Cuisine Utensil Smooth Tools Gift Ideas for Professional Bakers, Restaurants, Grandmas - MR. WOODWARE
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 588 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 235mg Sodium: 822mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Protein: 57g