Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts are flavored with strawberry jello and strawberries, then frosted with a cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with colored sugar if kids will be eating them.
They’re girly! (However, boys like ’em, too.)
They whisper Valentine’s Day!
They’re baked, not fried. (Woohoo! Fresh donuts with no smelly grease in the house.)
If you haven’t found yourself a donut pan yet and you have kids or grandkids, what are you waiting for? I’m having so much fun with mine. You could use a mini-muffin pan but something about the donut shape makes them irresistible.
How I modified the popular Baked Whole Wheat Donut recipe to make Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts:
- Instead of white whole wheat flour, use all-purpose unbleached flour. Adding dry strawberry jello powder to the dry ingredients gives the expected pink color and intensifies the strawberry flavor.
- Substitute 1/4 cup finely chopped or mashed fresh strawberries for the milk.
- Dress them up for a party with a glaze, flavored and colored with strawberry jello powder. Don’t forget the sparkly or colored sugar!
Kitchen secret for getting the batter into a doughnut pan:
Place the batter in a plastic bag and clip off a corner. Next, squeeze batter into donut pans going around each little post.
When I first saw this tip, it seemed like too much trouble to scoop the batter into a plastic bag. But believe me when I say: It goes better, faster, and neater for you with a bag. The batter is a little bit stiff and won’t drop off a spoon easily so the effect ends up looking lumpy and irregular.
Posts Related to Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts:
- Homemade Brown Sugar-Cinnamon Oatmeal Pop-tarts
- Orange Pecan Waffles
- Lemon Poppy-Seed Scones with Greek Yogurt