Sneak Preview: This Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts Recipe is flavored with strawberry jello and strawberries, then frosted with a cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with colored sugar if kids will be eating them.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for something to make breakfast celebratory and memorable for some children or grandchildren? These baked strawberry donuts are easier than fried doughnuts, quicker than yeast doughnuts, healthier than most grocery store donuts, and unique because you made them.
If you haven’t found a donut pan yet and have kids or grandkids, what are you waiting for? I’m having so much fun with mine. Although you could use a mini-muffin pan, something about the donut shape makes them irresistible.
How I modified this popular Baked Whole Wheat Donut recipe to make Frosted Strawberry Cake Doughnuts:
- Instead of white whole wheat flour, use all-purpose unbleached flour. Adding dry strawberry jello powder to the dry ingredients gives the expected pink color and intensifies the strawberry flavor.
- Substitute 1/4 cup finely chopped or mashed fresh strawberries for the milk.
- Dress them up for a party with a glaze, flavored and colored with strawberry jello powder. Don’t forget the sparkly or colored sugar!
Kitchen secret for getting the batter into a doughnut pan:
Place the batter in a plastic bag and clip off a corner. Next, squeeze batter into donut pans going around each little post.
When I first saw this tip, it seemed like too much trouble to scoop the batter into a plastic bag. But believe me when I say: It goes better, faster, and neater for you with a bag. The batter is stiff and won’t drop off a spoon easily, so the donut looks lumpy and irregular.
Posts Related to Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts:
- Homemade Brown Sugar-Cinnamon Oatmeal Pop-tarts
- Orange Pecan Waffles
- Lemon Poppy-Seed Scones with Greek Yogurt
If you have questions or suggestions, email me privately for a quick answer: Paula at saladinajar.com. Hope to see you again soon!
Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts Recipe
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour - 120 gr
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar - 66 gr
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon dry strawberry jello powder - 9 gr
- ½ teaspoon salt - 3 gr
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg - freshly grated
- ¼ cup fresh strawberries - (finely chopped) 42 gr
- ¼ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt - 71 gr
- 1 egg - 50 gr
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil - 25 gr
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a few drops of almond flavoring
- 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese - 1 oz or 28 gr
- 2-3+ tablespoons milk - 28-42 gr
- 2 cups powdered sugar - 227 gr
- 1 teaspoon strawberry jello powder - 3 gr
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease doughnut pan well (I use spray oil with flour in it i.e. Baking by Pam).
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, strawberry jello powder, salt, and nutmeg together in a medium mixing bowl. (You can leave the nutmeg out but it gives the characteristic donut flavor.)
- Whisk yogurt, strawberries, egg, oil, and flavorings together in a separate small bowl. Pour all at once over dry ingredients and stir only until everything is moistened.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag or quart-size zippered plastic bag. Seal. Snip a small corner of the plastic bag and force dough out of the hole in a fat rope that encircles each doughnut cup. Fill only 1/2 to 3/4 full or you will lose the hole in the middle of your doughnut. Makes 12 donuts and possibly 3-4 "donut holes" in a mini cupcake pan. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese and milk in a medium mixing bowl. Mix powdered sugar and jello powder with cream cheese until smooth. Add more milk (a few drops at a time) if necessary to achieve the correct consistency. It should drip slowly without being runny.
- Dip donuts face down into glaze and turn over to dry on a rack (see picture) or pour over the top. Sprinkle with colored sugar or other edible decorations, if desired, before the glaze dries.