Cheesy Cauliflower Chowder is a low-carb variation of my previously published Vegetable Cheese Chowder. Substitute mashed cauliflower for the potatoes and flour. The instructions below are written for the Instant Pot, but you can easily prepare it on the stove as described in the recipe notes.
Are you preparing a lot of soup these days?
I find myself apologizing to my husband for all the soup we’re eating. He doesn’t seem to mind.
Using modern appliances to make this recipe faster and easier:
However, it feels like I’m cheating, especially when I use my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. It’s just too easy to make soup sometime during the day at my convenience. The Instant Pot automatically holds it on “Warm” until we’re ready to eat.
The base for this recipe is a batch (one head) of mashed cauliflower. I make mine in the microwave for maximum ease and no mushiness. On the other hand, if you have another recipe you prefer, no problem. In the same way, commercially-prepared and frozen mashed cauliflower will also work.
Garnishing Cheesy Cauliflower Chowder
If you really like cauliflower and want some texture in your soup, save back a few cooked cauliflower florets. Add them back to the soup after you mash the cooked cauliflower. Chop them coarsely to use as a garnish as seen below.
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 whole onion, chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 batch of mashed cauliflower without seasonings
- 2-3 medium carrots, peeled or scrubbed and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Single bay leaf
- 1 cup whole, 2% or 1/2% milk, almond milk or cashew milk (Use only as much as you need to thin soup to your preference.)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded American processed cheese or any mild melting cheese like Colby, cut into chunks (optional: leave out if you are trying to avoid dairy)
- Make a batch of mashed cauliflower according to your favorite recipe or see mine here.
- If using an Instant Pot, press "Sauté" button. When hot, add oil, then onions and celery. Stir often and cook until softened but not brown.
- Add chicken broth, carrots and bay leaf. When mixture comes to a boil, put lid in place and position pressure valve toward the back. Turn off "Sauté" button. Press "Manual" button and set time on High Pressure to 5 minutes. Release pressure manually.
- Stir in mashed cauliflower and cheese. Add milk of your choice until soup is as thick or thin as you like. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Soup can remain on "warm" in the Instant Pot for hours.
- Stir in pepper, salt, and fresh chopped parsley.
- OPTIONAL: Before you mash the cooked cauliflower, hold out a few of the florets and use them to garnish the soup if you like a little texture and really want to taste the cauliflower.
- To prepare on the stove:
- Saute onion and celery in butter until softened. Add carrots, broth, and bay leaf. Cook until carrots are tender. Stir in mashed cauliflower, then milk, then cheese. Season and add chopped parsley. Don't allow soup to boil after adding the cheese.
- Nutritionals are based on using 2% milk.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 1226mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 6g
Other posts related to Cheesy Cauliflower Chowder: