Keto Cauliflower Chowder with Cheese is a low-carb variation of my previously published Vegetable Cheese Chowder. Substitute mashed cauliflower for the potatoes and flour. The instructions below are written for the Instant Pot, but you can easily prepare it on the stove as described in the recipe notes.
Are you preparing a lot of soup these days?
I find myself apologizing to my husband for all the soup we’re eating. He doesn’t seem to mind.
Using modern appliances to make this recipe faster and easier
However, it feels like I’m cheating, especially when I use my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. It’s just too easy to make soup sometime during the day at my convenience. The Instant Pot automatically holds it on “Warm” until we’re ready to eat.
The base for this recipe is a batch (one head) of mashed cauliflower. I make mine in the microwave for maximum ease and no mushiness. On the other hand, if you have another recipe you prefer, no problem. In the same way, commercially-prepared and frozen mashed cauliflower will also work.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- OIL: Vegetable oil such as canola, corn or avocado oil are good.
- CAULIFLOWER: Use 1 head of cauliflower. See above for more information about the way I prepare mine. You can also just buy it frozen to save time.
- CARROTS: Save time by substituting sliced baby carrots.
- CHICKEN BROTH: Use homemade broth if you have it. Otherwise, make a quick broth with chicken bouillon or use canned broth.
- MILK: Take your pick: 1 cup whole, 2% or 1/2% milk, almond milk or cashew milk. Use only as much as you need to thin soup to your preference. The consistency of your mashed cauliflower will determine how much you need.
- CHEESE: Use American-processed-cheese or any mild melting cheese like Colby. Cut into chunks. (optional)
Garnishing Cheesy Cauliflower Chowder
If you really like cauliflower and want some texture in your soup, save back a few cooked cauliflower florets. Add them back to the soup after you mash the cooked cauliflower. Chop them coarsely to use as a garnish as seen below.
What would you like to read next?
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you enjoy this recipe? You can help others (and me) by leaving a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. No comment required. Thank you.
Hope to see you again soon!
p.s. Questions? Email me: paula at saladinajar.com.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 whole onion, chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 batch of mashed cauliflower without seasonings
- 2-3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Single bay leaf
- 1 cup whole, 2% or 1/2% milk, almond milk or cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded American processed cheese (optional)
- Make a batch of mashed cauliflower according to your favorite recipe or see mine here.
- If using an Instant Pot, press "Sauté" button. When hot, add oil, then onions and celery. Stir often and cook until softened but not brown.
- Add chicken broth, carrots and bay leaf. When mixture comes to a boil, put lid in place and position pressure valve toward the back. Turn off "Sauté" button. Press "Manual" button and set time on High Pressure to 5 minutes. Release pressure manually.
- Stir in mashed cauliflower and cheese. Add milk of your choice until soup is as thick or thin as you like. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Soup can remain on "warm" in the Instant Pot for hours.
- Stir in pepper, salt, and fresh chopped parsley.
- OPTIONAL: Before you mash the cooked cauliflower, hold out a few of the florets and use them to garnish the soup if you like a little texture and really want to taste the cauliflower.
- To prepare on the stove:
- Saute onion and celery in butter until softened. Add carrots, broth, and bay leaf. Cook until carrots are tender. Stir in mashed cauliflower, then milk, then cheese. Season and add chopped parsley. Don't allow soup to boil after adding the cheese.
- Nutritionals are based on using 2% milk.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 1226mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g