Keto Cauliflower Chowder with Cheese is a low-carb variation of my previously published Vegetable Cheese Chowder. Substitute mashed cauliflower for the potatoes and flour. The instructions below are written for the Instant Pot, but you can easily prepare it on the stove as described in the recipe notes.
Are you preparing a lot of soup these days?
I find myself apologizing to my husband for all the soup we’re eating. He doesn’t seem to mind.
Using modern appliances to make this recipe faster and easier
However, it feels like I’m cheating, especially when I use my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. It’s just too easy to make soup sometime during the day at my convenience. The Instant Pot automatically holds it on “Warm” until we’re ready to eat.
The base for this recipe is a batch (one head) of mashed cauliflower. I make mine in the microwave for maximum ease and no mushiness. On the other hand, if you have another recipe you prefer, no problem. In the same way, commercially-prepared and frozen mashed cauliflower will also work.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- OIL: Vegetable oil such as canola, corn or avocado oil are good.
- CAULIFLOWER: Use 1 head of cauliflower. See above for more information about the way I prepare mine. You can also just buy it frozen to save time.
- CARROTS: Save time by substituting sliced baby carrots.
- CHICKEN BROTH: Use homemade broth if you have it. Otherwise, make a quick broth with chicken bouillon or use canned broth.
- MILK: Take your pick: 1 cup whole, 2% or 1/2% milk, almond milk or cashew milk. Use only as much as you need to thin soup to your preference. The consistency of your mashed cauliflower will determine how much you need.
- CHEESE: Use American-processed-cheese or any mild melting cheese like Colby. Cut into chunks. (optional)
Garnishing Cheesy Cauliflower Chowder
If you really like cauliflower and want some texture in your soup, save back a few cooked cauliflower florets. Add them back to the soup after you mash the cooked cauliflower. Chop them coarsely to use as a garnish as seen below.
What would you like to read next?
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you enjoy this recipe? If so, you can help others and myself by leaving a 5-star 🤩 rating in the recipe below. No comments required.
Hope to see you again soon!
p.s. If you have any questions or suggestions, you can email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.