Chocolate Peanut Butter Pinwheel Cookies combines peanut butter dough with a layer of melted semi-sweet chocolate. Roll up like a jellyroll, then slice and bake for a peanut-butter-cup-flavor-experience in a cookie.
The recipe for these peanut butter cookies was printed on an old calendar I’ve kept around for years. They’re fun and tasty when I want something just a bit different.
Taste-wise, they remind me of a chocolate chip cookie with peanut butter in it. They speak directly to my frequent craving for Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
Get started by mixing the dough per the recipe. Turn it out onto waxed paper and follow the pictures below.
Rolling up the dough with chocolate inside can be a little tricky. If the ambient temperature in your kitchen is rather warm, the dough can be messy. If necessary, chill the dough for a few minutes before you start, to make it easier to handle.
After you spread the chocolate and roll up the dough, chill from 30-45 minutes. In my experience, this is when the dough will be easiest to handle.
If you chill until the dough is completely firm, the chocolate will be difficult to slice without it cracking unevenly. A little experience will help you decide when the dough is ready to slice.
Another tip: Use a serrated knife to slice the dough for cookies. It moves through the chilled chocolate a little more easily. Even better, use a warm and sharp serrated knife.
Even if the cookies don’t slice perfectly, they will still taste delicious.
How To Roll Out Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pinwheel Cookies
More Recipes for Peanut-Butter Lovers
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 6-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in peanut butter, milk, vanilla extract, and egg.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Melt chocolate in a separate bowl by microwaving for one minute on HIGH. Set aside to cool.
- Press dough into a ball and place between two long sheets of waxed paper. Roll out into a 10 x 17-inch rectangle.
- Remove the top piece of waxed paper and spread cooled chocolate over the top. Starting with the long side, roll up dough with chocolate inside. Chill for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare cookies sheets by covering with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper or by greasing.
- Slice chilled roll 1/2-inch thick and place onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Move to a cooling rack while still warm.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Pinterest
Updated and republished on September 5, 2019.