Tamale Pie is a spicy Tex-Mex dish with a mixture of ground beef, corn, and beans topped with a thin layer of cornbread. Serve with chips and guacamole.
We recently had houseguests from Holland who have been our friends since I was a goofy 17-yr-old exchange student staying at his parent’s house one summer.
I prepared this recipe because it is Tex-Mex spicy deliciousness at its best. It’s easy to make ahead of time and holds for hours, if necessary. Makes a lot but it’s wonderful leftover, too.
Bert and his son Roelof loved it, and I promised to post the recipe here. Hope the ingredients are available in the Netherlands.
I’m not much for processed foods, but I will make exceptions. This is made easier with canned soup and beans. No need to add extra salt. You’ll get plenty out of the cans.
Adjust seasonings to your personal tastes, especially the chili powder. I like to substitute smoky chipotle powder for some of the chili powder. Serve this with chips, salsa, and guacamole. A salad (out of a jar, of course) on the side completes the meal.
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 1-2 large onions, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 cans condensed tomato soup or 4 small cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (negotiable)
- 1/2 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn
- 2 cans ranch style or pinto beans
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk or thinned unflavored yogurt
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- Brown onion and meat. Drain off any fat. Add remaining ingredients and pour into two, 2-quart greased casseroles and cover.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
- Combine first five ingredients in small bowl. Add buttermilk or yogurt, egg and salad oil and stir just until combined. Remove casserole from oven and spread corn bread batter evenly over the top. Bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Serves 10 to 12.
*May be doubled for a large crowd.
*Want to use a crock pot? Prepare the meat and vegetable mixture and place in crock pot on LOW anywhere from 3-8 hours. When you walk in the door, preheat the oven, mix up the cornbread mixture and pop into the oven to finish baking.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 521 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 1137mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 14g Protein: 33g