Sneak Preview: This delightful Corn and Eggplant Recipe combines eggplant, fresh corn, tomatoes, onions, peppers, basil, and cheese in a glorious side dish. Celebrate summer with these fresh vegetables.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One hundred-degree-plus temperatures are stagnating around us like a lazy fog here in Texas.
My motivation and inspiration in the kitchen have melted away faster than frozen-hard butter melts in a microwave. Because of the high temperatures, cooking seems like a lot of trouble. If I do cook, it’s mostly without a recipe.
Can you relate?
All this means I have been pulling out my familiar but simple favorites like this Corn and Eggplant Casserole. It’s perfect for people who want to eat more veggies but are tired of green beans and carrots.
Happy Cooks Speak Up:
“I just wanted to thank you for this recipe – I made it last week and it was divine! I threw in a yellow squash since our garden is currently overflowing. Simple and delicious!”–Jessica M.
Help at Your Fingertips: For questions or suggestions, email Paula at saladinajar.com. If you need help, I’m happy to troubleshoot via email (faster than leaving a comment). Attach pictures and as many details as possible for the best advice.
Corn and Eggplant Casserole
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) olive oil
- ½ cup (80 g) onions, chopped
- ¼ cup (37 g) green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 cup (164 g) fresh or frozen sweet corn
- 1 medium (458 g) eggplant, peeled and diced – (smaller pieces if you’re skittish about eggplant)
- 1 medium (100 g) tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil – chopped
- 1 cup (108 g) soft bread crumbs
- 2 slices (50 g) bacon, fried and crumbled – (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (113 g) Cheddar cheese – shredded
- Heat 2 tablespoons (28 g) olive oil in a large skillet. Saute 1/2 cup (80 g) onions, chopped and 1/4 cup (37 g) green bell peppers, chopped until soft. Add 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped and 1 cup (164 g) fresh or frozen sweet corn. Saute a couple of minutes until the corn is slightly browned. Add 1 medium (458 g) eggplant, peeled and diced. Saute and stir until the eggplant starts to brown. Cover and allow to cook another 5-7 minutes or until eggplant begins to soften.
- Add 1 medium (100 g) tomato, diced and cook another minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon fresh basil, 1 cup (108 g) soft bread crumbs, and 2 slices (50 g) bacon, fried and crumbled (if using), and season with salt and pepper to taste Stir in half the 1 cup (113 g) Cheddar cheese and pour into a flat casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350˚F (180˚C) for 20-25 minutes.