This delightful combination of corn, eggplant, tomato, and basil comes together in a side dish I like to call Corn and Eggplant Vegetable Medley.
100+ temperatures are stagnating around us like a lazy fog here in Texas.
My motivation and inspiration in the kitchen have melted away faster than frozen-hard butter melts in a microwave.
Because of the high temperatures, cooking seems like a lot of trouble. If I do cook, it’s mostly without a recipe.
Can you relate?
All this means I have been pulling out my familiar, but simple favorites like this Corn and Eggplant Vegetable Medley. It’s perfect for people who want to eat more veggies but are tired of green beans and carrots.
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped (I always use frozen)
- 1/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cob of corn (approx 1 cup), with corn cut off the ear
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced into 1" pieces (smaller pieces if you're skittish about eggplant)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 strips of crispy, fried bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute onions and bell peppers until soft. Add corn and saute a couple of minutes until corn is slightly browned. Add eggplant. Saute and stir until eggplant starts to brown. Cover and allow to cook another 5-7 minutes or until eggplant begins to soften.
- Add tomatoes and cook another minute.
- Add bread crumbs and bacon (if using) and season with salt and pepper. Stir in half the cheese and pour into a flat casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
If it's too hot to turn on the oven, put a lid on the skillet after you have added all ingredients and turn the heat down low 'til it's heated through and the cheese is melted. If you're grilling, put the covered skillet over indirect heat for similar results.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 297 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 405mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g Protein: 11g
Southwestern Eggplant Dressing
Southwestern Eggplant Dressing uses cornbread as a base with all sorts of veggies added, including green chilies, for a savory side dish or vegetarian entree.