Preview: This delightful combination of corn, eggplant, tomato, and basil comes together in a side dish I like to call Corn and Eggplant Vegetable Medley.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One hundred-degree-plus temperatures are stagnating around us like a lazy fog here in Texas.
My motivation and inspiration in the kitchen have melted away faster than frozen-hard butter melts in a microwave. Because of the high temperatures, cooking seems like a lot of trouble. If I do cook, it’s mostly without a recipe.
Can you relate?
All this means I have been pulling out my familiar but simple favorites like this Corn and Eggplant Vegetable Medley. It’s perfect for people who want to eat more veggies but are tired of green beans and carrots.
If you have questions or suggestions, email me privately for a quick answer: Paula at saladinajar.com. Hope to see you again soon!
Corn and Eggplant Vegetable Medley
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- ½ cup onions - chopped (I always use frozen)
- ¼ cup green bell peppers - chopped
- 1 cob of corn - approx 1 cup, with corn cut off the ear
- 1 medium eggplant - peeled and diced into 1″ pieces (smaller pieces if you’re skittish about eggplant)
- 1 large tomato - diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil - chopped
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese - shredded
- 2 strips of crispy - fried bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute onions and bell peppers until soft. Add corn and saute a couple of minutes until corn is slightly browned. Add eggplant. Saute and stir until eggplant starts to brown. Cover and allow to cook another 5-7 minutes or until eggplant begins to soften.
- Add tomatoes and cook another minute.
- Add bread crumbs and bacon (if using) and season with salt and pepper. Stir in half the cheese and pour into a flat casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350˚F for 20-25 minutes.