Meatball Ratatouille Soup is packed with mini meatballs combined with eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and Italian spices in this delicious soup–easy on the waistline.
a. a movie
b. cold tomato-based soup
c. an excuse to buy eggplant
d. the inspiration for one of my favorite “fat day” soups
e. what rats say to each other after they sneeze
f. hard to spell
Answer? All except e. And “e” could be true, but I ‘m unable to verify the facts.
You may know “Ratatouille” as a movie or a cold soup. For me, it’s best as a hot soup for a “fat” day.
Can you relate to “fat” days? If you are a woman, I’m betting you can–no matter what you weigh.
Feel free to leave out the meatballs if you are vegetarian or vigilantly counting calories. However, they add flavor and texture. Mushrooms would be a nice substitution if you favor that route.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onions, choppped
- 1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2-3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 small to medium eggplant, peeled and diced (Here's an idea for the other half)
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can beef broth (or equivalent beef base or bouillon and water)+ 1 can water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese to garnish
- Form ground beef into mini meatballs. You can do this by hand but my preference is a tiny ice cream dipper. Brown in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add onions and green peppers to ground beef and saute 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 197 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 660mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 17g
In a soup mood?