Cheesy Rice Pilaf is long-grain rice combined with yellow bell peppers, parsley and cheese to make a colorful side dish.
A few weeks ago I staged a giveaway and asked my readers to tell me their favorite way to eat rice. I got several good ideas, including this recipe, from a long-time (although now long-distance) friend named Beth.
Beth is a wonderful cook, and why wouldn’t she be?! She’s had plenty of practice with a family of four boys. Also, since she lives across the street from the campus of Abilene Christian University, she frequently feeds her husband’s students and other friends.
Cheesy Rice Pilaf is for cheese lovers. Yes, they will go crazy for this side dish. Beth uses Fontina, but the originator of the recipe, Emeril Lagasse (according to Google), also suggests Mozzarella, which would be somewhat cheaper.
Just for a moment, let’s pretend you don’t eat cheese. By all means, leave it out! I think you will still find this colorful rice dish delicious and nutritious.Print
Long-grain rice combined with yellow bell peppers, parsley and cheese make a colorful sidedish.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock (I make my own)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 pound Fontina or Mozzarella cheese, diced or grated
- Melt butter on medium high heat in medium saucepan. Add chopped onions and bell peppers. Saute until soft but don’t let them brown, about 4 minutes. Add rice, salt, and bay leaf. Cook 1 minute. Stir in stock. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the peas, cover and continue simmering until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and fluff the rice with a fork. Add the cheese and parsley, and stir. Serve immediately.
Keywords: #vegetarian #cheese #rice side dish
Looking for more easy rice recipes? Check these out!