Lemon and Vanilla Bean Posset is a cool and refreshing dessert requiring no oven or complicated cooking skills. Cream, vanilla bean paste and lemon are the star players. Nice after lunch or a heavy meal.
Lemon and Vanilla Bean Posset reminds me of a cross between creme brûlée custard (without the tricky sugar crust) and ice cream (but it’s not frozen). No ice cream freezer, oven, or torch needed. Bringing heavy cream to a boil transforms the sweetened cream mixture into a velvety, thickened sauce. Straining the sauce while pouring it into individual serving dishes keeps it silky smooth to the tongue. Chilling results in a firm texture.
With the start of school and other programs that take the summer off, luncheons seem to abound. Love on your friends with this light but satisfying dessert. It’s totally simple and not just for woman either. It was a big hit at our family dinner last weekend. Even the little kids ate it up.
Garnish with raspberries, blueberries, or whatever fruit you can find that tastes and looks good. Raspberries are my personal favorite as they play well with lemon.
The optional powdered sugar adds a fancy touch with no special decorating skills required. Place a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar into a small grocery-store-type-strainer and gently tap the edge to make an even shower of “snow”.
- Try a couple tablespoons of Lemon and Vanilla Bean Posset mixed with some unflavored Greek or Icelandic yogurt for a scrumptious lemon yogurt treat.
- I’ve written about vanilla bean paste before. Love it! Unfortunately, vanilla has gotten a lot more expensive lately so my habit has been curbed, but not completely snuffed. Using speck-heavy vanilla paste is so much easier than scraping a softened and split vanilla bean. In my area, I can buy it at Central Market, Williams-Sonoma, and of course, online. Try it in ice cream, pudding, custards, yogurt…actually, any dessert where you want to see the little black specks.
p.s. Wondering how to pronounce “posset”? Me, too! You can listen to it here.Print
Lemon and Vanilla Bean Posset is a cool and refreshing dessert that requires no oven or complicated cooking skills. Perfect for a heavy meal or ladies’ luncheon.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or real vanilla extract)
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Bring cream and sugar to a quiet boil over medium-low heat, stirring continuously. Reduce heat and simmer 2-3 minutes. Don’t allow the mixture to boil furiously.
- Remove from heat and whisk in strained lemon juice. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste. Pour through a strainer into 8 ramekins. For more generous servings, use only 6 dishes.
- Allow to cool about 20 minutes.
- Chill at least 3-4 hours. Garnish with raspberries and powdered sugar immediately before serving.
Keywords: dessert recipes, cream, vanilla bean paste, lemon, raspberries