I’m so anxious to share My Favorite Pizza Dough recipe with you. We have been using it in our family for years. Hope you like it as well as we do. The recipe is written for a bread machine but feel free to mix it up in your stand mixer or even by hand if you want.
A few years ago, I worked for a major pizza chain in their research and development department. After I saw how much oil goes in the bottom of their pizza pans, I decided to make my own from then on. This recipe is good for thick or thin pizza and even makes a great focaccia which I will post soon.
I love to make pizza dough in my bread machine using the dough cycle. If I put it on the timer function, it will be ready to make out into pizza the moment I walk in the door from work.
I’m including this in the Skinny Secrets category because the crust portion is so much lower in calories than you would get at a restaurant but it’s difficult to calculate nutritionals since no toppings are specified.Print
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour (If you use all-purpose flour- you may need to add up to 1/4 cup extra)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fast-rising or bread machine yeast
- Place ingredients in bread machine in order given. Run through dough cycle.
- When dough has risen, remove from bread pan to floured surface and divide in 2 pieces. Spray a heavy pizza pan with olive oil. Push and cajole pizza to desired thinness with your hands. Using a rolling pin tends to make the dough compact. If dough is resistant to stretching, let it sit and relax for a few minutes then come back to it.
- Layer sauce first (don’t overdo it), cheese and then meat or vegetables. Watch the amounts. Excess toppings will cause your pizza to take too long to bake and may result in a soggy middle. Bake in oven that has been preheated to 450 degrees. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before slicing.
Directions for making bread with a stand mixer or by hand:
- To make this recipe in a heavy-duty stand mixer, add ingredients to the bowl in the same order. Turn on low to mix until all ingredients are moistened. Using dough hook, turn speed to 2 or 3 and continue beating/kneading until dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place. Deflate dough gently and shape rolls as indicated in recipe.
- If making by hand, combine all ingredients into a shaggy ball in a large bowl. Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead with your hands until dough becomes smooth and elastic, a process that will likely take 10-20 minutes depending on your experience. Place dough ball into a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until double. Deflate dough gently and shape rolls as indicated in recipe
- Please note: If you substitute regular yeast for instant or bread machine yeast, you must dissolve it first before adding to the dry ingredients. Stir it into about 1/4 cup of the lukewarm liquid called for in the recipe. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Add to other wet ingredients and then add dry ingredients. Proceed as directed to knead and shape rolls.
Keywords: pizza, bread machine, pizza dough, pizza dough recipe