Scooter’s Baked Spaghetti with French-Fried Onions is a one-dish masterpiece your family and guests alike will enjoy. French-fried onions are sprinkled over layers of spaghetti, cream cheese and flavorful marinara making a dish that is honestly, hard to stop eating.
What kind of recipe makes your all-star list? If you are like me, it must be easy, made from ingredients you are likely to have in your pantry and something most people (including kids and picky eaters) will like. Bonus points for something that can be made ahead of time. When you make this, you will see that Scooter’s Baked Spaghetti with French-Fried Onions fulfills all these requirements.
But who is Scooter you ask? She is one of my favorite people from way back who is an awesome cook. I’m so happy she is willing to share recipes. If you like this one, you should definitely check out more of her recipes here, here, and here.
Do You Share Recipes?
Speaking of sharing recipes, what is your opinion on the matter? Although I used to be reluctant in an earlier stage of my life, I have found sharing a recipe ensures a memory of you every time the recipient makes it. Hopefully, you’ve written the measurements down correctly so the memory will be a good one.
Case in point, I recently ran into somebody I had not seen in 30 years. Unfortunately, she was completely forgotten to me. But she remembered a recipe I had given her. In fact, she claimed to still make it. When she told me what it was I couldn’t place it. Guess it was a fleeting experiment for me.
Note to Scooter:
I think of you every time I make Scooter’s Baked Spaghetti with French-Fried Onions, which is really often since we all love it so much. My hips are not quite as grateful as my taste buds. Ahem!Print
Layered spaghetti casserole topped with French-Fried onions is a family favorite!
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large can spaghetti sauce (26.5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers (I usually omit or substitute red peppers)
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- French-fried onions (small can)
- Cook spaghetti according to directions on the package. Cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
- Brown ground beef, then drain excess grease.
- Add spaghetti sauce to ground beef and heat.
- Combine onions, peppers and butter in small glass bowl. Cover and microwave 4 minutes on HIGH until soft.
- Add cream cheese and milk to vegetables and stir well. (If cream cheese is not soft, nuke it for 20-30 seconds to make it easy to spread.)
- Using a 12 x 8-inch baking dish (or something close), assemble in the following order: thin layer of spaghetti sauce, cooked spaghetti, cream cheese/vegetable mixture, remaining spaghetti sauce, parmesan cheese (amount subject to your own taste)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Top with french-fried onions and continue baking 5 more minutes. (This is the secret ingredient–don’t let them burn.)
Make this ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze without the French Fried onions. Don’t forget to add them 5 minutes before casserole is finished cooking.
Keywords: spaghetti, baked spaghetti, cream cheese, french fried onions, ground beef, casserole, beef, dinner, supper, party,