This fun-to-eat Fantan Recipe can be easily mixed up in a bread machine. Put these pull-apart dinner rolls on the menu for your next celebration, then sit back and enjoy the compliments.
If you don’t have a bread machine, you can still make these rolls by hand or with a stand mixer. See the notes at the bottom of the recipe.
My husband’s family always had “Brown and Serve” rolls for holidays. He got excited when he saw these because they remind him of those inexpensive grocery store rolls (which were made better by a big chunk of melted butter). Oh my!
Why you should dust off your bread machine:
I would encourage you to pull out your bread machine again today. It really is a miracle worker. If you don’t have one, they are available for cheap at lots of thrift stores, garage sales and on E-bay.
A stray remark about bread machines might even uncover one in somebody’s cupboard they never use. It doesn’t need to be fancy. I don’t recommend baking in them anyway so only a dough cycle is required.
Although bread machines can vary, most of them instruct you to put wet ingredients in first followed by the dry ingredients. Check the manual if you aren’t sure.
How to roll out and cut dough for Fantans:
Pin the picture below to save for later.
- 6 tablespoons butter, sliced
- 1/4 cup warm water (may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of additional water if dough seems dry)
- 1 tablespoon mild honey or sugar
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk (I use my homemade Greek yogurt--see note)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons bread machine or instant yeast
- Place all ingredients into pan of bread machine in order given. Select dough cycle.
- After machine has been running about 10 minutes, check the dough. If dough is a very firm ball, add a tablespoon of water. Dough should be starting to clean off the sides of the pan but not "bouncing" against the walls. If dough is very sticky and gooey, add a tablespoon of flour until it begins to take shape.
- At the end of the dough cycle, remove dough from pan and divide in half. Form in to two smooth, round balls and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll out half of dough on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a 12-inch square (about 1/8 inch thick; keep remaining half covered with plastic wrap). Brush dough with 1/2 tablespoon butter and cut into 6 equal strips. Stack strips, buttered sides up, and cut crosswise into 6 equal pieces.
- Turn each piece on a side and put into a muffin cup. Make more rolls with remaining dough in same manner. Cover rolls with a kitchen towel (not terry cloth) and let rise in a draft-free place at warm rom temperature until doubled and dough fills cups. Usually takes 30-45 minutes.
- Bake rolls at 375 degrees until golden brown for 20-25 minutes. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon melted butter, if desired.
- If using thick or Greek yogurt, add milk to thin it closer to consistency of buttermilk. Then measure out 3/4 cup.
- To make this recipe in a heavy-duty stand mixer, add ingredients to the bowl in the same order. Turn on low to mix until all ingredients are moistened. Using dough hook, turn speed to 2 or 3 and continue beating/kneading until dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place. Deflate dough gently and shape rolls as indicated in recipe.
- If making by hand, combine all ingredients into a shaggy ball in a large bowl. Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead with your hands until dough becomes smooth and elastic, a process that will likely take 10-20 minutes depending on your experience. Place dough ball into a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until double. Deflate dough gently and shape rolls as indicated in recipe
- Please note: If you substitute regular yeast for instant or bread machine yeast, you must dissolve it first before adding to the dry ingredients. Stir it into about 1/4 cup of the lukewarm liquid called for in the recipe. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Add to other wet ingredients and then add dry ingredients. Proceed as directed to knead and shape rolls.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g