This easy homemade apple pie makes its own crust. Cinnamon-spiced apples are covered with a sweet batter then baked to make Swedish Apple Pie. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Originally published in 2010. Updated in November 2019.
If you don’t have time for a crust or you don’t want to mess with it, this pie is for you.
RELATED POST: Whole Wheat Apple Pie Yeast Bread
This is the perfect recipe for stressed-out cooks or beginners. The batter is simple enough for the kids to stir together.
Why no crust?
The “crust” is on top. Sorta.
A lot of the sweetened batter you spread over the sliced apples will seep down between the apples in the oven. The part left on top turns golden brown and crunchy.
Why the kind of apples you use matters:
I’ve tried several different types of apples but have settled on a combination of two large Granny Smith apples and one large Golden Delicious. They will give your pie the right amount of sweetness but also the best texture. The apples cook through easily and release some liquid but aren’t mushy.
RELATED POST: Apples in a Bag– A Quick Snack in Under 5 Minutes
- Replace pecans with walnuts. Either way, toasting them before you add them to your batter will bring out the flavor.
- Bleached flour can be used in place of unbleached flour.
- Ground cardamom can be used in place of or in addition to cinnamon.
Kitchen tip for coring apples:
To keep the tips from breaking off your apple quarters, remove the core starting from the bottom of the apple instead of the top. This will help make your slices more uniform.
It’s not really a big deal in this recipe. I just wanted you to know.
Serving Swedish Apple Pie:
If you serve the pie hot out of the oven, it will probably be a little messy as you try to cut it in slices. Of course, it will taste fabulous as the warm pie melts your ice cream on top.
If you want to make the pie ahead of time, bake it, then allow it to cool for several hours. Refrigerate.
When it’s time to eat it, slice the pie. Put individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up and bring out the cinnamon fragrance. Top with ice cream or whipped cream.
How to make Swedish Apple Pie:
RELATED POST: Using a Microwave To Toast Nuts or Coconut
Besides being my daughter-in-law’s favorite dessert, this recipe is all the more special because I got it from Amanda’s mother, Sandy. I especially enjoy eating it at her house.
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 2 1/2 cups cooking apples, (2 large Granny Smith and 1 large Golden Delicious) peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate. Fill with sliced apples mixed with lemon juice. Pie pan should be about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar over apples and combine.
- Mix melted butter, and 3/4 cup of sugar in a separate bowl. Stir in beaten egg, flour and salt. Add toasted pecans
- Spread the batter over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you want neat slices, chill the pie for 2-3 hours. Slice the pie when ready to serve and reheat individual slices in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 256mg Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 24g Protein: 3g
Are you looking for more apple recipes?