Preview: This Crustless Apple Pie recipe couldn’t be easier. Batter-covered apples are baked in a pie plate without a crust. (AKA Swedish Apple Pie)
What if you could have the cinnamony goodness of juicy baked apples without having to mess with a separate crust? This popular Swedish Apple Pie makes its own crust.
This is the perfect recipe for stressed-out cooks or beginners. The batter is simple enough for kids to stir together.
If you don’t have time for a crust or you don’t want to mess with it, this pie is for you.
Cinnamon-spiced apples are covered with a sweet batter then baked. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why no crust?
The “crust” is on top. Sorta.
A lot of the sweetened batter you spread over the sliced apples will seep down between the apples in the oven. The part left on top turns golden brown and crunchy.
What kind of apples should I use?
I’ve tried several different types of apples but have settled on a combination of two large Granny Smith apples and one large Golden Delicious. They will give your pie the right amount of sweetness but also the best texture. The apples cook through easily and release some liquid but aren’t mushy.
Can I make substitutions?
- Replace pecans with walnuts. Either way, toasting them before you add them to your batter will bring out the flavor.
- Bleached flour can be used in place of unbleached flour.
- Ground cardamom can be used in place of or in addition to cinnamon.
What is the best way to core apples?
To keep the tips from breaking off your apple quarters, remove the core starting from the bottom of the apple instead of the top. This will help make your slices more uniform.
It’s not really a big deal in this recipe. I just wanted you to know.
How should I serve this pie?
Hot out of the oven…
If you serve the pie hot out of the oven, it will probably be a little messy as you try to cut it into slices. Of course, it will taste fabulous as the warm pie melts your ice cream on top.
Making it ahead of time…
If you want to make the pie ahead of time, bake it, then allow it to cool for several hours. Refrigerate.
When it’s time to eat it, slice the pie. Put individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up and bring out the cinnamon fragrance.
Top with ice cream or whipped cream.
How to make Crustless Apple Pie:
RELATED POST: Using a Microwave To Toast Nuts or Coconut
Besides being my daughter-in-law’s favorite dessert, this recipe is all the more special because I got it from Amanda’s mother, Sandy. I especially enjoy eating it at her house.
Are you looking for more apple recipes?
Did you enjoy this recipe? You can help others (and me) by leaving a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. No comment required. Thank you.
Hope to see you again soon!
p.s. Questions? Email me: paula at saladinajar.com.
- 2 1/2 cups cooking apples, (2 large Granny Smith and 1 large Golden Delicious) peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate. Fill the pie plate with sliced apples. Pie pan should be about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with lemon juice and stir to coat apples.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar over apples and combine.
- Mix melted butter, and 3/4 cup of sugar in a separate bowl. Stir in beaten egg, flour, and salt. Add toasted pecans.
- Spread the batter over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you want neat slices, chill the pie for 2-3 hours. Slice the pie when ready to serve and reheat individual slices in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g