Sneak Preview: This Crustless Apple Pie recipe couldn’t be simpler. Bake batter-covered apples in a pie plate with no crust (aka Swedish Apple Pie).
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What if you could have the cinnamony goodness of juicy baked apples without having to mess with a separate crust? This popular Swedish Apple Pie makes its own crust.
A crustless apple pie is a perfect recipe for stressed-out cooks or beginners. The batter is simple enough for kids to stir together.
If you don’t have time for a crust or want to mess with it, this pie is for you.
Cover cinnamon-spiced apples with a sweet batter, then bake. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why no crust?
The “crust” is on top–sort of.
The sweetened batter you spread over the sliced apples will seep down between the apples in the oven. As a result, the part left on top turns golden brown and crunchy.
What kind of apples should I use?
I’ve tried several different apples and settled on a combination of two large Granny Smith apples and one large Golden Delicious. They will give your pie the right amount of sweetness, the best texture, and release some liquid without getting mushy.
Can I make substitutions?
- Replace pecans with walnuts. Either way, toasting them before you add them to your batter will bring out the flavor.
- Bleached flour can be used in place of unbleached flour.
- Ground cardamom can be used in place of or in addition to cinnamon.
What is the best way to core apples?
To keep the tips from breaking off your apple quarters, remove the core starting from the bottom of the apple instead of the top. This technique will make your slices more uniform.
It’s not a big deal in this recipe. I just wanted you to know.
How should I serve this no-crust apple pie?
Hot out of the oven?
If you serve the pie hot out of the oven, it will probably be a little messy as you try to cut it into slices. But, of course, it will taste fabulous as the warm pie melts your ice cream on top.
Making it ahead of time?
If you want to make the pie ahead of time, bake it, then allow it to cool for several hours. Refrigerate.
When it’s time to eat it, slice the pie. Put individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up and bring out the cinnamon fragrance.
Top with ice cream or whipped cream.
How to make Crustless Apple Pie:
Peel and slice apples 1/4-inch thick. Place in a greased 9-inch pie plate.
Squeeze lemon juice over the apples.
Add sugar and cinnamon.
Add sugar and a beaten egg.
Stir in the flour and salt.
Add pecans to the batter. Stir.
Spread batter evenly over the sliced apples.
Bake in a 350˚F oven for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream.
Parting thoughts: This dessert begs to be served with ice cream or whipped cream. It’s even better if you warm slices in a microwave oven for a few seconds before serving
Are you looking for more apple recipes?
If you have questions or suggestions, email me privately to Paula at saladinajar.com. Hope to see you again soon! Paula
Crustless Apple Pie
- 2 ½ cups cooking apples - (2 large Granny Smith and 1 large Golden Delicious) peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter - melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg - slightly beaten
- ¾ cup + 1 tables spoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans - toasted
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate. Fill the pie plate with sliced apples. Pie pan should be about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and stir to coat apples.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar over apples and combine.
- Mix 10 tablespoons of melted butter, and 3/4 cup of sugar in a separate bowl. Stir in beaten egg, 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add 1/2 cup of toasted pecans.
- Spread the batter over apples.
- Bake at 350˚F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you want neat slices, chill the pie for 2-3 hours. Slice the pie when ready to serve and reheat individual slices in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.