This recipe for Pork Stroganoff with Mushrooms features sautéed pork strips in a sour cream gravy seasoned with cumin and cilantro. Serve over rice, noodles, or even mashed cauliflower.
…A few of my favorite things all in one recipe!
Put them together for a hearty Southwestern entree that reminds me of Beef Stroganoff, except it’s made with pork.
You’ll want to use lean pork for this dish. I like to use pork loin or what is sometimes to referred to as country-style ribs, the boneless variety.
Be sure not to crowd the pork in the skillet. They’re actually a little bit too cozy in the picture above.
Try using a pizza wheel to chop fresh herbs. Works great, especially if the blade is still sharp.
Leave out the fresh cilantro if you must, but it makes the dish, in my opinion. Have you noticed I pretty much say that about anything containing cilantro? Not everybody agrees with me. No problem! We can still be friends if you want to substitute parsley instead.
More recipes for pork lovers
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 pounds lean pork e.g. pork loin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour + 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sauté bacon in large frying pan. Remove. Fry onions and garlic in bacon grease until soft. Add mushrooms and fry until slightly soft. Remove and reserve.
- Cut pork into bite-sized pieces and brown over medium-high heat. Do this in two batches so the pan isn't overcrowded. After you put pieces in the pan, don't turn until well browned on first side. Turn and saute on the other side. You may need to add additional oil for second batch.
- Add bacon, onion, garlic, and mushrooms back to pork along with cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in chicken broth and lemon juice. Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Whisk flour and water until smooth. Combine with pork and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and add sour cream. Serve with chopped cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 456mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 36g