Thankfully, condensed cream of mushroom soup doesn’t have to come out of a can, and it doesn’t have to take a lot of time. You only need a blender (or food processor) and a microwave to make this recipe at home in less than 5 minutes.
This recipe is easy to customize to your needs and tastes. Bonus: It’s gluten-free!
The reputation of Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup seems tarnished as of late.
Some think it’s unhealthy. Others think it’s old-fashioned.
I have a few favorite recipes that call for it, so I’m not quite ready to say good-bye. With that in mind, I’ve dressed it up in all its mushroom-y glory for your reconsideration.
Why make a condensed cream soup at home?
Condensed soups may fit in the same category as making your own yogurt for some people–too much trouble when the stuff you get at the grocery store is good enough and reasonably cheap.
However, I like to know I can make it myself when I want to. I guarantee if you print this recipe and store it in a safe place, someday you’ll be glad you did.
3 Reasons to make this soup:
- Would knowing what the ingredients are in your soup ease your mind? Make it yourself, and you’ll know.
- One of the best reasons for making this soup at home is to avoid a last-minute trip to the grocery store. If you use canned mushooms, you can keep all the ingredients in your pantry for emergencies.
- Do you cook for somebody on a special diet? Leave out the salt and substitute a salt-free seasoning.
FAQ about homemade condensed cream soup:
Use a blender to ensure your soup will be lump-free. Cook it in a microwave-safe Pyrex glass pitcher or bowl to ensure the process will be fast and scorch-free.
Add bouillon cubes, powder, or concentrate. Try adding a clove of fresh garlic to the blender when mixing your soup.
Yes. It won’t be quite as rich but it will work. Did you know 2% evaporated milk and fat-free evaporated milk contain the same amount of calories? Might as well use 2% for more flavor.
Pulse the blender an extra time if you don’t want to recognize the mushroom pieces; less time if you want bigger chunks.
I prefer cornstarch over flour. It makes for a better texture that’s not pasty. It’s more like what we’re familiar with from the red can.
Using cornstarch also makes this recipe gluten-free.
Absolutely. Well-drained canned mushrooms can be substituted for fresh.
Replace the onion powder with fresh or frozen onions, if desired. Expect the onions to remain a little crunchy because of the short cooking time. To avoid any crunchiness, sauté the onions just enough to soften them before adding to the blender.
Yes. This recipe yields approximately 10 ounces- the same amount as a store-bought can of condensed cream soup.
Absolutely. Add milk, broth or water for a quick soup you can serve for supper.
How to make Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup:
More condensed cream soup recipes and ways to use them:
Pin the picture below to save for later.
Did you try this recipe and enjoy it? Consider helping other readers (and me) by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required.
If you have a question or tip to share, please leave it in the regular comments after the recipe so I can answer back. Or, email me privately: paula at saladinajar.com.
Thank you for visiting!
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- Pinch of sugar
- 8-ounces 2% evaporated milk
- Handful (approx. 3/4 cup) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Put all ingredients except the mushrooms in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add mushrooms and pulse 2-3 times until mushrooms are chopped.
- Pour into a 2-quart Pyrex bowl and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes, whisking well after two minutes and again at the end of cooking time.
- If not thick enough, add 30 seconds and whisk again.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g