Strawberries and balsamic vinegar combine with goat cheese to make these memorable and tasty Strawberry Balsamic Muffins. Use 6-Minute Strawberry Balsamic sauce (directions included) to avoid wet spots in your muffins that often occur when using fresh strawberries
Have you ever gathered wild strawberries?
Every spring we picked tiny but incredibly sweet and flavorful berries from the ditches of the tar-covered road in front of my childhood home.
There are no thorns or stickers like some berries, but there is something much worse in my book. POISON IVY!
Unfortunately, those “leaves of three” scattered throughout the wild strawberries held an unpleasant surprise. Within a day, I would start to itch….and scratch…and itch some more. For your sake, I hope you can not relate to this story. I’m starting to itch just thinking about it so let’s get on with the good stuff.
Creating the Recipe for Strawberry Balsamic Muffins:
The inspiration for these muffins come from the strawberry balsamic muffins I used to buy from the Central Market Bakery in Ft. Worth.
Please understand I’m not claiming to have the authentic recipe. After much experimentation, this muffin seems to be a good clone. No matter, it is delicious on its own merits.
A few weeks ago, I shared my super quick and easy method for making a strawberry-balsamic sauce using frozen strawberries. It has two ingredients and cooks in only 6 minutes.
The result is something similar to strawberry preserves but not as thick or sugary. Because the strawberries are cooked, you won’t get soggy spots inside your baked muffins like sometimes happens with fresh strawberries.
The secret ingredient in Strawberry-Balsamic Muffins:
Goat-cheese crumbles give these muffins a distinctive flavor. The recipe shows a range of amounts so you can customize according to your love for goat cheese.
You could also leave it out the cheese or use toasted pecans instead. The results will be equally scrumptious.
If you try these muffins, please come back and leave a star rating (shown inside the recipe.) No comment is required, although comments are always appreciated.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 cup unflavored, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup strawberry-balsamic sauce (See note)
- 1-2 ounces crumbles goat cheese (depending on how much you like goat cheese)
- Sanding or sparkling sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in microwave for one minute on HIGH. Allow to cool.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and soda in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine yogurt, egg, and melted butter in separate bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Do not overmix.
- Lightly fold in strawberry-balsamic sauce and goat cheese.
- Portion evenly into muffin pan that has been greased and floured. (I use an aerosol flour/butter mixture.) Muffin pans vary, but I usually end up with 9 smallish muffins.
- Sprinkle liberally with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
To make strawberry-balsamic sauce:
Chop 1-1/2 cups frozen strawberries. Place in a Pyrex dish no smaller than 1 quart. Add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Cook in microwave, UNCOVERED, for 6 minutes, no stirring required.
- Bakers Joy Cake Pan Spray
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- USA Pan (1200MF) Bakeware Cupcake and Muffin Pan, 12 Well, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 192 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 233mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 14g Protein: 6g
Strawberry Yogurt Salad Dressing
Making your own Strawberry Yogurt Salad Dressing at home is a tasty but healthy way to dress your salad.Get the Recipe
Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts
Frosted Strawberry Cake Donuts are flavored with strawberry jello and strawberries, then frosted with a cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with colored sugar if kids will be eating them.Get the Recipe
6-Minute Strawberry-Balsamic Sauce
A strawberry-balsamic reduction made quickly and easily in the microwave in 6 minutes.Get the Recipe
Aunt Marg's Fresh Strawberry Pie Revisited
Aunt Marg's Fresh Strawberry Pie is a not-too-sweet fruit dessert formulated for maximum enjoyment of fresh strawberries. Easy pat-in-the-pan crust takes it over the top.Get the Recipe
Homemade Brown Sugar-Cinnamon Oatmeal Pop-Tarts
Although a little extra effort is involved, these pop-tarts are a special treat for a memorable breakfast.Get the Recipe
Derinda's Kid-Friendly Coffee Cake
Kid-Friendly Coffee Cake uses Bisquick base with no nuts or unusual spices. Can be prepared the night before and cooked in the morning if desired.Get the Recipe
Flaky Biscuits with a Million Layers of Cinnamon
Light and flaky cinnamon-laced layers set these biscuits apart from the average. Substitute buttermilk if you don't have whey.Get the Recipe
Homemade granola with reduced caloriesGet the Recipe