This bread machine recipe produces light, fluffy, and sweet yeast rolls with a distinct orange flavor. The icing on top makes these a special treat.
After a rainy, dreary weekend here in North Central Texas, I bring you a ray of sunshine. Yep! These rolls are just what the doctor ordered to chase the cold and wetness away.
My older sister has been telling me about a restaurant where she eats the BEST orange rolls. Unfortunately, this sister, who lives several states northeast of me, has never taken me to this place. She is obviously trying to taunt me.
Instead, I have been inspired. I decided to come up with my own orange rolls adapting the recipe of my Favorite Dinner Rolls. After quizzing Kay in greater detail, there is likely no resemblance between my rolls and the famous rolls—but no matter. I love these!
They are light, fluffy, and sweet with a distinct orange flavor. Bread like this is why I eat a jar of salad every day for lunch. Seriously. Otherwise, I couldn’t fit in my clothes. Homemade bread is my Achilles heel.
I made these in the bread machine but don’t feel left out if you don’t have one. Click here to see directions for using a large electric mixer instead.
If making nice round dough balls has you stymied, check out the video below.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast or instant yeast
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Warm milk for 1 minute in the microwave. Add to bread machine along with egg, orange peel, orange juice, shortening and salt.
- Add flour and yeast on top. Start bread machine using dough cycle. Check dough after 7-8 minutes and make sure it is the right consistency. Click here if you are new to using a bread machine.
- When cycle completes, make rolls into 16 balls. (If you are adding raisins, you may work into the dough at this point. I divide this dough in half and add raisins to half of the dough.)
- Evenly space 8 dough balls in an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan (greased or sprayed with flour/oil aerosol) with a dark finish, preferably. You will end up with two pans of rolls. For a tutorial on making rolls, check out my video below.
- Cover loosely with a tea towel and let rise until almost double.
- Preheat oven to 375. Place rolls in oven and bake until golden brown for approximately 10-15 minutes. If you have a baking thermometer, rolls should register close to 190 degrees before removing from the oven.
- Spoon Orange Glaze over rolls when cool.
- Add 1 tablespoon orange juice to 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 144mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 2g
Posts Related to Iced Orange Yeast Rolls: