Skinny Homemade Granola is a tasty snack or breakfast granola lightened up with sugar-free maple syrup to reduce the calories, but not the flavor. Makes a perfect topping for my homemade yogurt.
Granola is like an oatmeal cookie–in more ways than one. Both are delicious, contain heart-healthy oatmeal, lots of sugar and fat and should be eaten in small quantities only.
While this granola is lower in calories than average, watch the portion size. Leave out the coconut if you’re having a “fat day.”
My favorite way to enjoy this special treat is one tablespoon at a time in my daily jar of yogurt.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar free maple-like syrup (I like Cary's)
- 3 tablespoons flavorless oil
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup almonds
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Spray a 13-by-9-inch pan with cooking spray or use a silicone baking mat.
- Mix oats, wheat germ, cinnamon and salt. Heat syrup, oil, and water in the microwave to a simmer. Drizzle over oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Working a handful at a time, squeeze cereal to form small clumps.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Stir in raisins, coconut and almonds. Continue to bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
- Let cool and store in air-tight container. Vacuum-packing in a quart jar is even better.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 192 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 83mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 10g Protein: 4g