Sneak Preview: This Easy Shrimp Etouffee Recipe with Cream of Mushroom Soup does not claim to be authentic. But it’s super simple to prepare and something different for dinner. Dump a few cans of soup into a skillet or slow cooker, add some traditional cajun vegetables and spices, then stir and simmer. Add shrimp before serving.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you need a super easy dish to serve for a party (it makes a lot), and you don’t mind opening a few cans, this could be your new favorite dinner recipe. Load this mock Shrimp Etouffee with scrumptious shrimp, sauce, and spicy heat from the Rotel and Cajun seasonings.
What makes this recipe so easy?
- Roux is unnecessary.
- Open a few cans.
- Use a slow cooker if desired.
Ingredients and substitutions:
Shrimp: Use fresh or frozen shrimp. Sliced sausage would make a wonderful addition to the shrimp. Substitute with crawfish or chicken if you don’t want to use shrimp.
Onions, bell peppers, and celery: Many cooks call these three veggies the “holy trinity” in Cajun cooking. I keep all three veggies chopped and frozen in my freezer for convenience.
Condensed cream soups: These soups and tomatoes serve as the sauces in this recipe. If you live close to me in the DFW metroplex area, I have only found the condensed cream of shrimp soup at Walmart or online. My sister buys it at Publix, a supermarket chain in the South.
Rotel: Rotel tomatoes add a delicious tomato flavor with a real punch. If you don’t like spicy foods, use regular diced tomatoes instead. One can of Rotel tomatoes and one can of regular tomatoes create the perfect spiciness for my family.
Parsley: I like to use fresh parsley to garnish this dish. Thinly sliced green onions are another possibility.
Occasionally, I prefer to eat my shrimp etouffee poured over mashed cauliflower, like gravy, to reduce the carbs. I’ll be honest. This habit is like drinking diet Coke while eating a candy bar since the cream soups have plenty of carbs. Oh, well.
FAQ for Easy Shrimp Etouffee:
I love to make this in a slow cooker earlier in the day. However, don’t add the shrimp until the last 30 minutes. Overcooking shrimp will make it tough and chewy.
Use regular tomatoes instead of Rotel tomatoes (or try one of each). Reduce or eliminate the cayenne pepper.
We like it best with plain long-grain rice. It can help to diffuse the heat of the Rotel tomatoes.
Help at Your Fingertips: For questions or suggestions, email Paula at saladinajar.com. If you need help, I’m happy to troubleshoot via email (faster than leaving a comment). Attach pictures and as many details as possible for the best advice.
Easy Shrimp Etouffee Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (150 g) large onion, chopped
- 1 (119 g) large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (40 g) stalk celery, chopped
- 1 10.5 oz can (298 g) cream of shrimp soup
- 1 10.5 oz can (298 g) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10.5 oz can (298 g) cream of celery soup
- 2 14.5 oz cans (822 g) tomatoes with green chiles like Rotel – go milder and make one of the cans regular tomatoes if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 pounds (907 g) shrimp, peeled w/o tails
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large non-stick skillet. Add 1 (150 g) large onion, chopped, 1 (119 g) large bell pepper, chopped, and 1 (40 g) stalk celery, chopped and cook over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add 1 10.5 oz can (298 g) cream of shrimp soup, 1 10.5 oz can (298 g) cream of mushroom soup, 2 14.5 oz cans (822 g) tomatoes with green chiles like Rotel, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper½ teaspoon minced garlic, and ½ teaspoon onion powder, Simmer 45-60 minutes or place in a crock pot on Low for 3-4 hours.
- Add 2 pounds (907 g) shrimp, peeled w/o tails in the last 10-15 minutes before serving and cook just until the shrimp turn opaque (white). ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper are optional, so taste before you add. Canned soups can make food salty. Garnish with 2 tablespoons minced parsley or chopped green onions.