Try this quick, single-serving of cinnamon-spiced apples cooked in a zip-lock bag or a small microwave-safe bowl, if you prefer. Apples in a Bag are irresistible when poured over cinnamon tortilla or pita chips, oatmeal, or ice cream.
Many hugs and thanks to all of you who left notes of condolence regarding my dad. I will never forget them. But I can’t be crying every time I open my blog so I’m in a hurry to get that post off the top page.
What crazy thing do you eat when you crave something sweet but there are no obvious desserts in the house? One of my sisters confessed to eating dry cake mix (a long time ago is all she would admit).
Chocolate chips are my desperation sweet. They are even better when carefully balanced on top of a graham cracker but I don’t always have those in the house.
One evening last week when my sister and I got home from sitting with my father, we wanted a sweet something. Unfortunately, there was nothing but raw cookie dough in the freezer. That’s OK in a pinch but I really wanted something warm.
Then I remembered a tip I recently picked up from my new co-worker, Christa. She told me about microwaving a sliced apple to use as a quick addition to oatmeal or ice cream. It sounded like the perfect topping for cinnamon chips similar to the Apple Buenos we used to enjoy at Taco Bueno on Sunday nights after church.
I tried it and was instantly smitten. I predict you’ll feel the same.
6 reasons why you should try Apples in a Bag
- Near-instant gratification–cooks in two minutes.
- Mix and nuke in a disposable plastic bag for quick clean-up. I use Ziplock freezer bags approved for the microwave. If that makes you nervous or uncomfortable, see this article….or make it in a covered microwave-safe glass bowl or cook it on top of the stove in a regular pan. (When you’re the cook, you get to do it how you want. I won’t try to change your mind if you won’t try to change mine. Thank-you very much.)
- It’s versatile. Substitute pears for apples or change up the spices.
- After making it one time, you won’t need a recipe–it’s that easy.
- Because it only makes one serving (unless you use a huge apple), there are no leftovers to call your name.
- The perfect snack/dessert when you must have a sweet but the pantry is empty. Low in calories. See nutritionals below.
- 1 small apple (Golden Delicious or Granny Smith are my favorite)
- 1 packet of sweetener (Splenda is my favorite), or a spoonful of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Small handful of raisins or craisins, optional
- Peel or don't peel apple, core and slice or dice. Place in freezer-quality plastic zippered bag along with remaining ingredients. Seal bag and shake well to mix ingredients. (If you prefer, place all ingredients into a small microwave-safe bowl and cover loosely.)
- Reopen bag just a touch to vent. Microwave on High for 2 minutes-- longer if you use a big apple.
- Carefully (it will be HOT and steamy) open bag and pour over plain or cinnamon-sugar pita chips, flour tortilla chips, oatmeal or ice cream.
(Nutritionals based on no raisins, unpeeled apples and artificial sweetener)
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 59 Total Fat: 0.2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2mg Carbohydrates: 16.7g Fiber: 2.9g Sugar: 11g Protein: 0.3g