Green Chili and Yellow Squash Cornbread Combo is a spicy mixture of yellow squash, corn, green chilies and cornbread topped with cheese.
What do you do with leftover cornbread? My father-in-law used to stuff it in a glass and pour buttermilk over it. It might be good. Not sure because I’ve never tried it and most likely, never will.
But more often than not, I throw leftover cornbread in the freezer and save it for this recipe. It’s one of my all-time favorites.
Originally, this dish was called “Squash Dressing.” As a result of many tasty revisions, it seems like so much more to me, so I changed the name to Green Chili and Yellow Squash Cornbread Combo.Print
Spicy mixture of yellow squash, corn, green chilies and cornbread
- 4 c.yellow squash, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cups red or green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces domestic white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk (I use skim)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 ounces green chilis (more or less depending on your taste)
- 2 cups dried cornbread, crumbled (See note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2-1 cup cheddar or monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- Cook yellow squash with a small amount of added water. I use the microwave on HIGH for about 8-9 minutes. Mash squash with fork or masher and drain well. Set aside.
- Saute chopped onions and red bell peppers in melted butter in heavy skillet. After they soften, add mushrooms and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Thoroughly whisk flour and milk. Pour into vegetable mixture and cook on low till thickened.Add corn, green chilis, and cooked squash. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in dried cornbread.
- Place in 1 1/2 quart casserole or squash dish. Place in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle cheese on top during last 5 minutes.
Be sure to crumble cornbread and let it dry on the counter for a few hours. You can hasten the process using an oven at 250 degrees until the cornbread is dry. Can’t specify a time as it will depend on how moist the cornbread is to begin with.
Keywords: Vegetables, Squash, Cornbread, SideDish, Comfort Food, Side Dish recipes