Yellow Squash Patties are crispy mini-pancakes full of chopped, cooked yellow squash and red or green peppers. Their mild flavor begs for a condiment. Serve with ranch dressing, catsup, or something like this Cajun Dip.
Written on this recipe I got from a friend was the following blurb: “This is the only way I can get my husband to eat squash.”
If you have somebody in your family who thinks he doesn’t like squash, be sure you try these Squash Patties.
What happened to “self-rising flour”?
The original recipe I received from a friend called for self-rising flour. I couldn’t find a single bag of the stuff at the big Walmart near our house today.
Must be time to rewrite the recipe — without self-rising flour.
According to the King Arthur website, adding 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of all-purpose flour makes a good substitute for self-rising flour.
After testing the new recipe several times, I made several changes. If you’ve made this before, you might notice I substituted 1/4 cup of yellow cornmeal for the same amount of flour.
So now the recipe calls for half flour and half cornmeal. The final product is more substantial and tastes better, too.
What condiments are best with Squash Patties?
Kids who prefer to eat with their hands will probably like these, too. If they want to dip everything into ranch dressing, you’re golden. However, our condiment of choice is catsup. Remoulade sauce or Cajun dip would also be delicious.
How to make Squash Patties:
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1 pound yellow squash, sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 1/4 chopped red, yellow, orange, or green peppers, optional
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A sprinkle of fresh thyme (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons oil (for the skillet)
- Finely chop yellow squash and place into a microwave-safe glass bowl along with onions and peppers.
- Microwave on HIGH for 9-10 minutes or until squash is thoroughly cooked and soft. Drain. Mash. Drain again. (I place cooked veggie mixture in a sieve and press on it with a big spoon.)
- Add remaining ingredients to cooked squash and stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet on medium. Add oil and heat until it glistens. Drop batter by spoonfuls into your skillet without crowding. Flatten with the back of a spoon to make a patty.
- Cook until browned on one side, then flip to fry the other side (similar to making pancakes).
Make these Keto by substituting Wheat Belly's All-Purpose Baking Mix for the flour and baking powder. Substitute Swerve (erythritol) for the sugar or a few drops of Stevia.
A tablespoon of chopped green chilies makes a tasty addition if you like things a little spicy.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177 Total Fat: 1.5g Carbohydrates: 35.7g Fiber: 3.1g Sugar: 4.4g Protein: 5.6g
Revised and updated August 2019.