You’re going to enjoy “eating your vegetables” after you prepare Roasted Yellow Squash with Parmesan. It’s a side dish of thinly-sliced squash, coated in olive oil, and seasoned with Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper, then roasted until the cheese is crispy and brown. Fits well with a Keto or Low-Carb diet.
Do you ever try the recipes printed on the back of boxes or packages of food you buy at the store? Some of my favorite recipes have come from the backs of boxes.
A version of this particular recipe for Roasted Yellow Squash with Parmesan is printed on the back of the zippered plastic bag Aldi’s uses to package and sell their yellow squash. Despite ignoring it for months, I decided to try it in a fit of boredom one night at 6 PM. I was blown away. Although it’s not particularly photogenic, when the Parmesan cheese turns brown and crispy, it’s irresistible.
How To Prepare Roasted Yellow Squash with Parmesan:
1. Prep for this recipe is easy, especially if you use a food processor or mandolin. (This particular mandolin was given highest recommendations for an inexpensive mandolin by Cooks Illustrated.) If you don’t have either of those, use a sharp knife to slice the squash approximately 1/4-inch thick.
2. Cover a half-sheet pan with aluminum foil or a silicone baking sheet. Pour the oil onto the tray and then the sliced squash. Use your hands to toss the yellow squash with the oil until all the squash is coated. Try to arrange the squash so none of the slices overlap. I know. It’s kinda hard when you’re in a hurry and your squash is on the larger side. However, yummy crispiness and browning won’t happen if the squash are overlapping each other.
3. Season with salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Here’s my Kitchen Secret for the day:
Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Aluminum Foil is the coolest thing ever! Use it whenever baking with cheese or making something that sticks and is tricky to get out of the pan, like brownies or lasagna. Unfortunately, the price is a little high. Now you know why I hide mine from the rest of the family. I don’t want them using it unwittingly to cover a bowl, wrap a sandwich, or something else totally unworthy of this amazing invention.Print
Thinly sliced yellow squash lightly coated with olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan for a slightly crispy and flavorful veggie side dish
- 3 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover 1 half-size cookie sheet with aluminum foil (non-stick foil is my favorite) or a silicone baking mat.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto sheet. Dump sliced squash onto covered sheet and “stir-it-up” with your hands to coat all the squash with oil.
- Arrange sliced yellow squash on prepared cookie sheet so they generally are not overlapping.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is browned.
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 159 kcal
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Fat: 13.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.4 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
Keywords: side dish, roasted vegetable recipes, dinner, supper, yellow squash, summer vegetables
p.s. If you try this recipe and like it, I would be honored if you would come back to leave a comment and give a rating. Thanks so much! Paula
Posts related to Roasted Yellow Squash with Parmesan: