Sneak Preview: Holiday ham leftovers are unrecognizable in this Easy Ham Fried Rice recipe. But don’t save it for the next holiday. It’s delicious any time of the year with any cooked meat.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What do you do with the holiday leftovers? At our house, fried rice is all about cleaning out leftovers. This recipe is easy to put together but hard to quit eating.
All ingredients in this fried rice recipe are negotiable except for the rice. Variety and amounts can vary. Even the rice can be more or less, but I wouldn’t go with less than 2 cups.
Parting thoughts: I have lots of leftover ham with the holidays in the rearview mirror. I plan to make sliders using my recipe for Cheesy-Crusted Yeast Rolls. The larger slices of ham will make a great filling. I put the ham bone in the freezer. I’ll use it in a pot of beans. That leaves the little bits and pieces of veggies for this fried rice.
If you have leftover rice, you may be interested in this Easy Jasmine Rice Recipe with Southwestern Flavors or this recipe for The Freshest Broccoli-Cheese Rice.
More recipes for leftover ham:
Help at Your Fingertips: For questions or suggestions, email Paula at saladinajar.com. If you need help, I’m happy to troubleshoot via email (faster than leaving a comment). Attach pictures and as many details as possible for the best advice.
Easy Ham Fried Rice
- 3-4 ounces (85 g) ham, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (41 g) peanut or vegetable oil
- 2-4 tablespoons (20-40 g) chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups (188 g) fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (70 g) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups (316 g) cooked rice – must be cool or cold–best when leftover
- 1 large (50 g) egg, scrambled
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce – low sodium
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3-4 ounces (85 g) ham, chopped and saute. Smallest pieces should begin to turn slightly crispy lik,e bacon. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to hot skillet. Saute 2-4 tablespoons (20-40 g) chopped onion till soft but not brown. Set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 cups (188 g) fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced to skillet. Saute until browned. Add 1/2 cup (70 g) frozen peas and carrots, thawed and 1 clove garlic, finely chopped. Cook another minute. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet. When glistening, add 2 cups (316 g) cooked rice , cold. Break apart and stir quickly to coat each piece of rice with oil. Add 1 large (50 g) egg, scrambled and continue to mix quickly as the egg cooks.
- Add previously cooked meat and vegetables to rice mixture. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chopped scallions and 2 tablespoons soy sauce over the mixture as you continue to stir and cook. Add fresh ground pepperServe immediately.