This recipe for Ham and Veggie Fried Rice uses leftover ham and vegetables including mushrooms, peas, carrots, and rice in a stir-fry that’s easy to put together.
Is it bad that this is the main thing I remember?
Upon the impending marriage of my oldest son and his then-fiancé, her parents took all of us to a Japanese steak house in Little Rock. It was a wonderful night of celebration for both of our families.
What I remember most was the fried rice, not to mention all of the butter the chef used while making it. Of course, it tasted fabulous. But I wanted to figure out a way to make it flavorful at home without adding huge chunks of butter. I’ve been practicing ever since.
What do you do with the bits and pieces of holiday leftovers?
At our house, fried rice is all about cleaning out leftovers. With Easter in the rear-view mirror, I have lots of leftover ham. I’m planning to make sliders with Cheesy Crusty Yeast Rolls and the bigger slices of ham. The ham bone is in the freezer waiting for a pot of beans. That leaves the little bits and pieces of veggies for fried rice.
All ingredients except the rice are negotiable. Variety and amounts can vary. Even the rice can be more or less, but I wouldn’t go with less than 2 cups.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 3-4 ounces ham, chopped
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, divided
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced and microwaved 4 minutes on HIGH, then drained (pre-cooking speeds up the process)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice (must be cool or cold--best when leftover)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham and saute. Smallest pieces should begin to turn slightly crispy like bacon. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to hot skillet. Saute chopped onions till soft and but not brown. Set aside.
- Add softened, drained mushrooms to skillet and saute until browned. Add peas and carrots and garlic and cook another minute. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet. When glistening, add cold rice. Break apart and stir quickly to coat each piece of rice with oil. Add egg and continue to mix quickly as egg cooks. Add bean sprouts and cook another minute.
- Add previously cooked meat and vegetables to rice mixture. Sprinkle scallions and soy sauce over mixture as you continue to stir and cook. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 91mg Sodium: 1304mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 5g Protein: 23g