Preview: Holiday ham leftovers are unrecognizable in this Easy Ham Fried Rice recipe. But don’t save it for the next holiday, it’s delicious any time of the year with any cooked meat.
It’s a stir-fry that’s easy to put together but hard to quit eating.
What do you do with the bits and pieces of holiday leftovers?
At our house, fried rice is all about cleaning out leftovers. With the holidays in the rear-view mirror, I have lots of leftover ham.
I’m planning to make sliders with Cheesy-Crusted Yeast Rolls and the bigger slices of ham. The ham bone is in the freezer waiting for a pot of beans. That leaves the little bits and pieces of veggies for fried rice.
All ingredients except the rice are negotiable. Variety and amounts can vary. Even the rice can be more or less, but I wouldn’t go with less than 2 cups.
More Recipes for Leftover Ham or Rice
Did you enjoy this recipe? You can help others (and me) by leaving a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. No comment required. Thank you.
Hope to see you again soon!
p.s. Questions? Email me: paula at saladinajar.com.
- 3-4 ounces ham, chopped
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, divided
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced and microwaved 4 minutes on HIGH, then drained (pre-cooking speeds up the process)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice (must be cool or cold--best when leftover)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham and saute. Smallest pieces should begin to turn slightly crispy like bacon. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to hot skillet. Saute chopped onions till soft and but not brown. Set aside.
- Add softened, drained mushrooms to skillet and saute until browned. Add peas and carrots and garlic and cook another minute. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet. When glistening, add cold rice. Break apart and stir quickly to coat each piece of rice with oil. Add egg and continue to mix quickly as egg cooks. Add bean sprouts and cook another minute.
- Add previously cooked meat and vegetables to rice mixture. Sprinkle scallions and soy sauce over mixture as you continue to stir and cook. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 1304mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g