Really Crunchy Fried Shrimp is a simple fried shrimp with a crunchy coating.
The secret ingredient may surprise you: ordinary saltine crackers!
Fried food is an endangered species in my kitchen. Despite the ban on grease, these shrimp, specifically, are on the protected list.
For some years now, we’ve followed a tradition of serving fried shrimp on New Year’s Day. Although I’m a person who loves change and variety, such traditions do make menu planning a little easier. Wouldn’t you agree?
Because it’s pretty basic, I never thought about posting the recipe until my daughter-in-law requested it. As a result, this one’s for you, Susie.
How To Hand-bread Really Crunchy Fried Shrimp:
Serve with cocktail sauce or remoulade sauce. (See notes below for my no-recipe version of remoulade sauce).
Pin the picture below to save for later.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thanks so much! Paula
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 36 saltines
- 1 pound shrimp, medium or large
- Vegetable oil or shortening
- Combine first three ingredients and pour onto flat plate.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a small bowl.
- Crush saltines and place onto another flat plate or shallow bowl.
- Remove shells and devein shrimp. You may leave the tails on...or not. Your choice. Butterfly each shrimp with a small sharp knife.
- Roll each shrimp in seasoned flour, then dip in egg mixture, and finally, press shrimp into crumbs until covered. Be sure shrimp is butterflied (spread open) for maximum crumb retention which equals more crunchiness. Allow to sit on wax-paper covered cookie sheet for about 30 minutes.
- Fry in 3-4 inches of oil heated to 375 degrees until golden. It doesn't take long so stay close. Remove from grease and allow to drain onto paper towels.
My no-recipe remoulade sauce:
To approximately 1/2 cup mayonnaise, add enough catsup until it's nice and pink. Stir in a generous spoonful of pickle relish and one hardboiled egg, chopped finely.
Please note that the calorie count does not include the oil the shrimp is fried in as that is impossible for me to measure accurately in my home kitchen.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 329 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 226mg Sodium: 931mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 25g
Posts Related to Really Crunchy Fried Shrimp: