Sneak Preview: This Cajun Sauce recipe is made with creamy mayonnaise and ketchup spiced with Cajun seasoning and a hit of molasses. Good for dipping sweet potato fries.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you love condiments? We are the “condiment family,” according to my daughter-in-law. Before she said that, I thought we were normal (at least in public).🤔
Maybe she’s right. We have a favorite condiment for almost everything we eat that doesn’t come with a sauce.
Up until now, sweet potato fries had us stumped. We tried spicy catsup, ranch dressing, cinnamon sugar, honey, honey-dijon dressing, etc. In short, we experimented with the obvious and not-so-obvious. Nothing did it for us.
When I was about to give up, I found this delicious dip in a magazine. It was the answer to our trivial condiment issue.
If you also eat sweet potato chips or fries, you will appreciate this easy Cajun Dip! Cajun seasoning adds a kick. Molasses sweetens the mix. It’s the perfect combination.
Happy Cooks Speak Up:
“This recipe is great! And so easy too. I am eating it with yam fries (and veggies) right now. Word of caution though: don’t over-measure the molasses, too much throws the taste off a bit.” — Brett
Ingredients and substitutions:
- MAYONNAISE: Use good quality mayonnaise. I like olive oil mayonnaise because of the flavor and slightly fewer calories. If you want to make your own, here’s a recipe for homemade mayonnaise.
- KETCHUP: Catsup or ketchup makes anything better. If you have a spicy ketchup bottle in the pantry, that would be even better.
- CAJUN OR CREOLE SEASONING: We always have a green jar of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. I haven’t tried any other brands, but they should be fine.
- MOLASSES: Molasses has a unique flavor that’s hard to imitate. Honey or brown sugar could be used instead. Maple syrup is another idea, but it will make your dip runnier than molasses.
What can I serve this Cajun sauce with?
- Sweet potato fries
- French fries
- Fresh veggies
- Squash patties
- Fried shrimp
- Any fried fish
- Jalapeño hushpuppies
How long will this Cajun Dipping Sauce stay fresh?
The dip will keep for 5-7 days if using commercial mayonnaise. Homemade mayonnaise will not stay fresh for quite as long.
Help at Your Fingertips: For questions or suggestions, email Paula at saladinajar.com. If you need help, I’m happy to troubleshoot via email (faster than leaving a comment). Attach pictures and as many details as possible for the best advice.
A Cajun Sauce Recipe for Sweet Potato Fries
- ¼ cup (56 g) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning - adjust to suit your tastes
- Combine ¼ cup (56 g) mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1 teaspoon molasses, and 1½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
- Stir until smooth. Store in the refrigerator.