Steakhouse Rolls are darkly colored dinner rolls reminiscent of those served in steakhouses. Instructions included for a bread machine.
Dark bread is mysterious to me. Names like pumpernickel and Russian rye don’t help.
The stronger flavors aren’t exactly what this midwest farmer’s daughter grew up eating in her lunch box. Bologna and pumpernickel??
But in this recipe, there are no strange flours. No hard-to-find additives or flavoring.
These oversized rolls are reminiscent of the dark loaves served in many steakhouses–the kind brought out on a wooden board with a serrated knife and garnished with whipped butter. You may find yourself looking for a white tablecloth and candles to complete the mood.
As with most of my bread recipes, these are baked in a conventional oven. The bread machine does the mixing, kneading, and proofing. All you have to do is form the rolls into a pretty shape.
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 2/3 cup unbleached bread flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 2 1/4 t. instant yeast
- Add ingredients to bread machine pan in order given. (Did you check to make sure the blade was in place?)
- Stand by for the first 10-15 minutes of the cycle and check the dough. If too sticky, add 1 tablespoon flour at a time. Conversely, if too dry (dough slaps loudly against the side of pan) add 1 or more tablespoon(s) of water. (For picture tutorial on using a bread machine, see this post on Monkey Bread.)
- Set for dough cycle. When finished and dough has almost doubled in volume, remove from pan to floured board.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and form into oval rolls. Place on cookie sheet, cover loosely with a tea towel and allow to rise until double in a warm place. Use a serrated knife or kitchen shears to make a slash through the middle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake rolls for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Their dark color makes these rolls somewhat difficult to assess for doneness. Either look at the bottom for browning or check internal temperature which should be close to 190 degrees F. Serve with butter.
- Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker, 2 lb. loaf of Bread, Stainless Steel/Black
- King Arthur Flour Unbleached Bread Flour, 5 Pound (Packaging May Vary)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Serving Size:1 roll
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 271 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 11mg Sodium: 334mg Carbohydrates: 50g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 10g Protein: 8g