Orange Pecan Waffles are Belgian waffles flavored with orange juice, orange zest, and pecans. Breakfast was never so much fun.
Many food traditions in our family have originated from camping with close friends. For example, we always reward ourselves with homemade ice cream after setting up camp.
Traditionally, we prepare Joan’s Orange Pecan Waffles for breakfast at least one morning.
About the Non-Electric Waffle Iron
Part of the fun was making them with Joan’s Belgian waffle iron seen below. Instead of using electricity, heat it directly over a burner or campfire.
These are not fussy waffles. No separating eggs or folding in the whites.
Joan assembled the dry ingredients at home. She combined them with the liquids right before cooking them at camp.
I bought a manual waffle iron for myself but don’t use it much. It requires constant attention–something I can only manage when I’m away from home. As you can guess, I used an electric waffle iron to make the waffles pictured here.
This recipe produces thick Belgian waffles with a rather dense, muffin-like texture. In fact, leftovers make great snacks later in the day.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, consider helping other readers and me by returning to this post. Leave a rating on the recipe card itself underneath the picture. Although always appreciated, comments aren’t required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice (2/3 cup) and rind (1 tablespoon) of two small oranges
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pecans,toasted and chopped
- Whisk or sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla, orange juice, rind and butter to flour mixture. Stir with a spoon just until mixed. Carefully fold in pecans.
- Cook on preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g