Sweet and White Mashed Potato Swirl contains white potatoes and sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed separately, then combined to make a beautiful side dish.
Traditional mashed potatoes are comfort food for me. But adding sweet potatoes makes them so much more interesting and breaks the monotony of plain mashed potatoes.
On the other hand, a dish of 100% sweet potatoes can be cloying and somehow seems to end up mixed with lots of butter, sugar, and spices. While I like that on Thanksgiving and Christmas, I don’t want it very often. Adding white potatoes seems to mellow out the sweet potatoes in a nice way.
Don’t save this dish just for fall and winter holidays. It’s perfect with grilled meats–especially something spicy. My favorite is sausage for a quick weeknight meal.
If you make this and enjoy the recipe, it would help me and others if you would return to this post and leave a rating (on the recipe card itself underneath the picture). Although always appreciated, no comment is required. Thank you for visiting! Paula
- 1 1/2 pounds white potatoes, peeled and diced in 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced in 2-inch pieces
- 4 Tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/2 + cup warmed milk (divided)
- Pepper (I use white pepper)
- Place white potatoes in bottom of saucepan, then sweet potatoes on top. Barely cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer until potatoes are fork tender but not falling apart.
- Drain potatoes. Remove sweet potatoes from the pan and place in another bowl. Mash white potatoes your favorite way. I normally use a masher--sometimes a portable mixer. Add 2 tablespoons (or more) butter and 1/3 cup (+ more as necessary) milk until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Repeat step two with sweet potatoes. Start with about 2 tablespoons of milk, adding until consistency matches white potatoes.
- Plop mashed sweet potatoes back into pan with mashed white potatoes and take a couple folds with a spoon to barely mix. Move to serving dish being careful not to mix too much.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But don't worry. This doesn't change the price you pay.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 210mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g Protein: 5g
Sweet potato lover??